Homebuilt quantum tunneling experiment

In summary, Gentlemen, you will need a HAM license in order to transmit on the X-band with a Gunnplexer. There are many resources available to you, including online articles, booklets, and software applications. Good luck with your project!
actionintegral
Gentlemen,

The website www.altair.org[/URL] describes how to create a homebuilt quantum tunneling experiment which I would like to try.

It requires the use of a Gunnplexer. If I search for that term, all references to that term seem presuppose more knowledge that I have.

Can someone get me started on the path to learning the prerequisites?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
This is an excellent experiment to do. A detailed explanation can be found in Feynman Lectrues on Physics Vol 2, full of mathematical computations.

It's about total internal reflection of light in different mediums. It turns out, when light is reflected, there is still an electric field outside that medium that is dying off expenetially. If you bring a second medium close by a wavelength apart, the dying field can be pick up and re-transmitted by the other medium.

For visible light, the wavelength of red is 650 nano-meters. That is too small to perform a hands on experiment, this effect still exists though. So it was thought up to check internal reflection by a longer wavelength light. It's common to use a 3 cm wavelength light, that corresponds to 10 GHz in frequency in a region of electromangetic spectrum called microwave.

A gunn diode is a special diode invented by a guy name gunn that oscillates in microwave frequencies. It is a perfect device for a cheap microwave generator.

However, gunn generators are becoming more obsolote in microwave, so it be hard to find one. You can pull out a gunn generator from old garage motion detector. Or try looking around on ebay.

The detector is usually a waveguide usually WR-90 with attacked microwave diode you could connect to a voltmeter. You will get a voltage reading when subjected to a microwave source.

Hope that gets you started.

I went to the ARRL.org website (the main HAM radio organization), and did a search on Gunnplexer. I got some great hits, but the best ones were in the ARRL members-only area, so I can't post links to them here. :blushing:

But I cut out the "Resources and Links" section from the best article (I'm pretty sure it's okay for me to do that), and I'll post that here to get you some good pointers. Looks to be interesting stuff. I couldn't tell from a quick read if you need a HAM license to transmit on the X-band that keeps getting mentioned for these Gunnplexer transceivers, but I'm sure that's covered in the links below. Feel free to PM me if you have HAM related questions.

QST Magazine said:
Resources
• VE3SMA from Ontario, Canada has put together a valuable Web page for
Gunnplexer information at www.kwarc.org/10ghz/10GHZ-4.htm.
• A Web page describing a data (Ethernet type) experiment with Gunnplexers by
KE5FX can be found at www.guerrilla.net/reference/10ghz_link/[/URL]
10ghz_link.html.
• A very thorough application note on putting a Gunnplexer on ATV is available at
PC Electronics. Go to their Web page at [url]www.hamtv.com[/url] and request document
10 gHz TXapp.pdf.
•The Gunnplexer Cookbook, Bob Richardson, W4UCH, The Ham Radio Publishing
Group, Greenville, NH. (This book is out of print, so check your library or used
book supplier.)
Gunnplexers, antennas, complete systems, technical notes and related parts
• Advanced Receiver Research, Box 1242, Burlington, CT 06013;
tel 860-485-0310; [url]www.advancedreceiver.com/[/url].
• SHF Microwave Parts Company, 7102 W 500 S, La Porte, IN 46350;
[url]www.shfmicro.com/[/url]. [/quote]

Last edited by a moderator:
nice website actionintegral...good luck with ur project

1. What is a homebuilt quantum tunneling experiment?

A homebuilt quantum tunneling experiment is a scientific experiment that involves creating a setup at home to study the phenomenon of quantum tunneling. It involves using household materials or DIY kits to build a device that can observe and measure the behavior of subatomic particles as they tunnel through barriers.

2. What are the benefits of conducting a homebuilt quantum tunneling experiment?

Conducting a homebuilt quantum tunneling experiment allows for hands-on experience and a deeper understanding of the principles of quantum mechanics. It also provides an opportunity for individuals to conduct their own research and contribute to the field of quantum physics.

3. What materials are needed to build a homebuilt quantum tunneling experiment?

The materials needed for a homebuilt quantum tunneling experiment can vary depending on the specific setup and experiment being conducted. Some common materials used include a power source, wires, resistors, transistors, and a vacuum chamber. DIY kits and online resources can also provide a list of necessary materials and instructions for building the experiment.

4. How does a homebuilt quantum tunneling experiment work?

In a homebuilt quantum tunneling experiment, a potential barrier, such as an insulating material, is placed between two electrodes. A current is applied to the electrodes, and the behavior of the particles as they tunnel through the barrier is observed and measured. This allows for the study of quantum tunneling, which is the ability of particles to pass through barriers that would normally be impossible to cross according to classical physics.

5. What are the applications of a homebuilt quantum tunneling experiment?

A homebuilt quantum tunneling experiment can have various applications, such as in the development of new technologies and materials. It can also aid in understanding and studying quantum phenomena, which can have implications in fields such as computing, cryptography, and energy production.