Energy stored on a capacitor

In summary, a capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. The energy is stored when the capacitor is connected to a power source and charges by accumulating positive and negative charges on its plates. The amount of energy stored can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2 * C * V^2, where E is the energy in joules, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the voltage across the capacitor. However, a capacitor has a maximum energy storage capacity and exceeding this limit can cause it to fail. The energy stored on a capacitor is released when it is connected to a circuit, allowing the charges to flow from one plate to the other. The rate of energy
jesuslovesu

Homework Statement

Express the energy stored on a capacitor in terms of L, R, V in a standard LRC circuit. The circuit is at resonance.

Homework Equations

E = 1/2 CV^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I start with substituting C with something else.
1) C = 1/(Lw^2)
So E = 1/2 V^2/(Lw^2)

2) That's where I begin to have problems. I've then tried w = 2pi*f and f = R/L

Therefore E = V^2 * L /(2R^2 * 4pi^2). Unfortunately, I'm close to the answer but the 4pi^2 term is where my problem lies. Anyone know where I went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cancel that, I figured it out

Your approach is correct, but you have made a mistake in your calculation. Let's go through the steps again:

1. We know that at resonance, the inductive reactance (XL) and the capacitive reactance (XC) are equal:
XL = XC
2. We also know that XL = wL and XC = 1/wC
3. Substituting these values into the equation, we get:
wL = 1/wC
4. Solving for w, we get:
w = 1/sqrt(LC)
5. Now, we can substitute this value of w into the equation for energy stored on a capacitor:
E = 1/2 CV^2
E = 1/2 (1/wC) V^2
E = 1/2 (1/(1/sqrt(LC))) V^2
E = 1/2 (sqrt(LC)) V^2
6. Finally, we can use the substitution f = 1/(2pi*sqrt(LC)) to get the final equation:
E = 1/2 (4pi^2f^2L) V^2

So, the correct answer is E = (2pi^2f^2L)V^2. The 4pi^2 term should not be there.

I hope this helps!

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field.

2. How does a capacitor store energy?

When a capacitor is connected to a power source, it charges by accumulating an equal amount of positive and negative charges on its two plates. This separation of charges creates an electric field, which stores the energy.

3. How is the energy stored on a capacitor calculated?

The energy stored on a capacitor can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2 * C * V2, where E is the energy in joules, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the voltage across the capacitor.

4. Can a capacitor store unlimited amounts of energy?

No, a capacitor has a maximum energy storage capacity determined by its capacitance and the maximum voltage it can handle. Exceeding this limit can cause the capacitor to fail.

5. How is the energy stored on a capacitor released?

The energy stored on a capacitor is released when the capacitor is connected to a circuit, allowing the charges to flow from one plate to the other. The rate of energy release can be controlled by the resistance in the circuit.