Pendulum Damping Force Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to find the damping force of a pendulum using Stokes' Law. There is confusion about finding the velocity of the pendulum's spherical object and the resulting damping force calculation. The length, time period, and initial amplitude and angle of the pendulum are also mentioned. Various equations, including the formula for damping force, are presented and used to calculate the angular velocity and damping force. However, there is disagreement about the accuracy of the calculations and the force of gravity acting on the pendulum.
geordieman101
[SOLVED] Pendulum Damping Force

Homework Statement

I am attempting to find the damping force of my pendulum using Stokes' Law. However, I am having trouble finding the velocity of the spherical object to get this damping force.
The radius of the sphere is 0.014m, the viscosity of air is 1.82 x10^5, the mass of the object is 0.035kg, the length of the pendulum is 2.3m, the time period is 3.274s
The pendulum was released from an amplitude of 100cm, at an angle of 23.5 degrees or 0.41 radians

Homework Equations

F(damping)=-6πrηv
v=rw
2π/w=T=2πr/v

The Attempt at a Solution

Using 2π/w i managed to get the angular velocity of 1.92rad/s and therefore my calculation for the velocity is 0.02688m/s, and thus my calculation for the damping force as 1291N, but this seems to be too large compared to the weight in the opposite direction of the force being shown via mgsinθ or in this case mgθ

Physics news on Phys.org
1291N is ridiculous. Isn't the exponent on the viscosity of air number -5, not +5.?

yes it is, my bad, but this would give the damping force as 1.29x10^-7N, surely this would be too small compared to 0.14N is what I am getting for the force of mgθ, the force due to gravity also seems incorrect to me as well

I get the same thing for the damping force. Air is not very viscous. I don't see anything wrong with your g force either.

1. What is pendulum damping force?

Pendulum damping force is a resistive force that acts on a pendulum as it swings back and forth. It is caused by the air resistance and friction within the pendulum's pivot point, which reduces the amplitude of its oscillations.

2. How does pendulum damping force affect the motion of a pendulum?

Pendulum damping force causes the pendulum to lose energy and slow down over time, leading to a decrease in its amplitude of oscillation. This results in shorter swings and a shorter total period of oscillation.

3. What factors can affect the amount of damping force on a pendulum?

The amount of damping force on a pendulum can be influenced by factors such as the shape and size of the pendulum, the material it is made of, and the surrounding air pressure and temperature. Additionally, the angle at which the pendulum is released can also affect the damping force.

4. How is the damping force of a pendulum calculated?

The damping force of a pendulum can be calculated using the equation Fd = -bv, where Fd is the damping force, b is the damping coefficient, and v is the velocity of the pendulum. The damping coefficient is dependent on the factors mentioned in the previous question and can be determined experimentally.

5. Can pendulum damping force be beneficial in any way?

Yes, in some cases pendulum damping force can be used to regulate the motion of a pendulum and prevent it from swinging too wildly. This is often seen in pendulum clocks, where the damping force helps to ensure the pendulum swings with a constant period and does not lose time due to large oscillations.