Why Tapered Beams Used for Roof Support?

• Thread starter hyper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statics
In summary, the beams used to support the roof of the shelter are tapered in order to save material. This is because the roof loadings will produce a larger internal moment at the beams' centers than at their ends. This means that the center of the beam needs to be thicker than the ends in order to withstand the turning force that tends to make the beam bend or break. By tapering the beam, material is not wasted at the free end where there is theoretically zero moment, thus making the structure more efficient.
hyper
I have a statics question. In my book under a picture it says.

"To save material the beams used to support the roof of this shelter where tapered since the roof loadings will produce a larger internal moment at the beams' centers than at their ends."

picture:

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/8010/bilde001sp4.jpg

But why will the roof produce larger internal moments at the beams ends?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi hyper! :smile:

It seems a daft way of putting it, but I think they just mean that the end of the beam only has to support the roof above it, but the centre of the beam has to support the end of the beam also, and therefore the weight of the whole of the roof.

tiny-tim said:

It seems a daft way of putting it, but I think they just mean that the end of the beam only has to support the roof above it, but the centre of the beam has to support the end of the beam also, and therefore the weight of the whole of the roof.

Wow thanks, that's smart!

I have thought some more about this and I think you are wrong tiny-tim. Why would the center have to support mroe? And what does this have to do with the moment?

hyper said:
I have thought some more about this and I think you are wrong tiny-tim. Why would the center have to support mroe? And what does this have to do with the moment?

Because the moment is the turning force that tends to make the beam bend (or break).

For example, the same force twice as far from the centre has twice the moment, and therefore need twice the strength to counter it.

And the centre of the beam needs to be thicker than the ends because ultimately all the force passes through the centre. :smile:

hyper said:
I have a statics question. In my book under a picture it says.

"To save material the beams used to support the roof of this shelter where tapered since the roof loadings will produce a larger internal moment at the beams' centers than at their ends."

picture:

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/8010/bilde001sp4.jpg

But why will the roof produce larger internal moments at the beams ends?

That is not what it is saying. The quote says that beam center will hold the most internal moment, which is not it's end. To illustrate, draw a cantilever beam of length L (i.e. a beam with a fixed support at one end and free at the other end). Furthermore, place a distributed load w along the length of the beam. With this structure in static equilibrium and within the elastic range, the largest internal moment will be located at the fixed end and will equal in magnitude to (w)(L^2)/2. The magnitude of the internal moment at the free end will be 0, and moments in between will gradually decrease parabolic as you travel away from the fixed end. Now let's talk design. The cross sectional area "needed" to handle the internal moment must be bigger at the fixed support than at the end because a larger cross sectional area must be needed to support a larger internal moment. If the beam was chosen to be perfectly rectangular, material would be wasted because you now have a large cross sectional area at the free end of the beam supporting a theoretical zero moment. That is why the beam's area becomes smaller as it travels away from the fixed support in a parabolic fashion.

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the purpose of using tapered beams for roof support?

Tapered beams are used for roof support to distribute the weight of the roof evenly and prevent any structural damage. This helps to maintain the stability and strength of the roof over time.

How do tapered beams provide better support compared to other types of beams?

Tapered beams are specifically designed to match the load distribution of the roof, making them more efficient in providing support. They also reduce the amount of material needed, making them a cost-effective option.

Are there any limitations to using tapered beams for roof support?

While tapered beams are a popular choice for roof support, they may not be suitable for all types of roofs. Factors such as the size and shape of the roof, as well as the materials used, should be considered before deciding on using tapered beams.

How are tapered beams designed for optimal roof support?

Tapered beams are designed using mathematical calculations and engineering principles to ensure they can withstand the specific load and stress of the roof. This includes considering factors such as the type of roofing material, climate, and building codes.

Can tapered beams be used for other types of structural support?

Yes, tapered beams can be used for other types of structural support, such as in bridges and buildings. They are also commonly used in the construction of aircraft and ships.