Applying Oxidation Numbers to Al + KClO4

In summary: K+1 + 8 e- + 8H+ ------> K+4 + 4H2O = 1.516 VAl-0 + 7 e- + 7H+ ------> Al+3 + 2H2O = 1.778VSo, in summary, grinding a mixture of Al with KClO4 in a mortar and pestle can result in an explosive reaction and the use of oxidation numbers is not applicable. Thanks for your help!
vertciel
Hello:

I am having some trouble relating to the following question to the concept of oxidation numbers as required by my practice problem, and would appreciate any help.

Thank you!

---

1. Explain why it is dangerous to grind a mixture of Al with KClO4 in a mortar and pestle.

---

I calculated the oxidation numbers for each element: Al = 0, K = +1, Cl = +7, and O = -2.

I know that aluminium + potassium perchlorate would produce flash power through an explosive reaction, and that powdered Al would have much more surface area on which the reaction could take place. The mortar and pestle additionally would cause the reaction to occur at a faster rate since there is more contact between the particles, but I do not see how I can apply the concept of oxidation numbers to this reaction.

Physics news on Phys.org
metals are reducing agents and the perchlorate is an oxidising agent.

Thanks for your reply, Kushal.

Could you please explain how potassium perchlorate is an oxidising agent?

i'm afraid i may not be an exact source for the equation of perchlorate as an oxidising agent.

but, i know that Cl can have oxidation states: -1, +1, +3, +5 and + 7.

if the perchlorate (+7) is reduced to chlorate (+5), then the equation is:

2H+ + ClO4- + 2e- ------> ClO3- + H2O

i placed H+ in so as to be able to balance the equation.
OR, perchlorate (+7) can be reduced to chlorite (+3)

4H+ + ClO4- + 4e- ------> ClO2- + 2H2OOR, perchlorate can be reduced to hypochlorite, OR to chloride...

so i have no idea which reduction reaction will occur, unless i know the electrode potential values of the reactions. someone else might know which is the actual reduction reaction...

Chlorine goes from +7 to -1, a change of eight electrons per atom of chlorine. Each aluminum atom goes from 0 to +3.

The electrode potential of chlorine going from +7 to -1 is:

Cl+7 + 8 e- + 8H+ ------> Cl- + 4H2O = 1.389V

1. What is oxidation number?

Oxidation number is a measure of the number of electrons that an atom gains or loses when it forms a chemical bond with another atom.

2. How do you determine the oxidation number of an element?

The oxidation number is determined by a set of rules, which take into account the electronegativity and valence electron configuration of the element in question. These rules can be found in any chemistry textbook or online resource.

3. What is the oxidation number of Al in Al + KClO4?

The oxidation number of Al in this compound is +3. This is because K has an oxidation number of +1 and Cl has an oxidation number of +7, and the overall compound must have a total oxidation number of 0. Therefore, Al must have a +3 oxidation number to balance out the charges.

4. Why is it important to apply oxidation numbers to this reaction?

Oxidation numbers help us understand the transfer of electrons in a chemical reaction. In this reaction, Al is being oxidized (losing electrons) while KClO4 is being reduced (gaining electrons). Knowing the oxidation numbers allows us to properly balance the equation and predict the products of the reaction.

5. Can the oxidation number of an element change in a chemical reaction?

Yes, the oxidation number of an element can change in a chemical reaction. This is because electrons can be gained or lost during the formation of chemical bonds. In the case of Al + KClO4, the oxidation number of Al changes from 0 to +3 as it loses three electrons to KClO4.