Finding the potential difference across two wires

In summary, the question asks for the potential difference across each wire connecting a lamp to a power supply. The lamp has a power of 36W and the potential difference across it is 12V. The two wires are made of copper with a resistivity of 1.7 x 10^-8 Ohm meter. The solution involves finding the current, which is 3A, and using the equation V = IR to find the potential difference across the wires. The resistance of each wire is found to be 3.06 x 10^-5 Ohms. Therefore, the potential difference across each wire is 12V as well.
SamS90
Hello everyone, as you can tell I'm new and just wondering if I could get some help with this question as I'm not sure where exactly I've gone wrong:

Homework Statement

Two wires are used to connect a lamp to a power supply of negligible internal resistance. The potential difference across the lamp is 12V and its power is 36W. Calculate the potential difference across each wire. The two wires in question are made of copper and have a resistivity of 1.7 x 10^-8 Ohm meter.

Homework Equations

Not 100% sure but:

V=W/Q, R=V/I, I=P/V, E= I (R + r)

And I'm not sure about an others.

The Attempt at a Solution

I = 36/12, I = 3
R = 12/3, R = 4
E = 3 (4 + 1.7x10^-8) = 12V

Therefore the potential difference across each wire is 12V

I know I've gone wrong some where and am hoping someone can put me right.

Many thanks,
Sam

Physics news on Phys.org
SamS90 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I = 36/12, I = 3
Good. You found the current, which you'll need.
R = 12/3, R = 4
That's the resistance of the lamp. OK, but not needed.
E = 3 (4 + 1.7x10^-8) = 12V
:confused:

Hint: What's the resistance of each wire? How long are they?

Thanks for the help. :smile:

Using 0.6m as length and 0.001m as the cross sectional area I have derived an answer of 3.06 x 10^-5 after first findinng the resistance of both wires (as you stated) then using the resistance found in the equation V = IR to find the potential difference.

Thanks again.

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electrical potential energy between two points in a circuit. It is measured in volts and is the driving force that allows electric charges to flow through a circuit.

2. How do you find the potential difference across two wires?

The potential difference across two wires can be calculated by using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage equals current multiplied by resistance. You can also use a voltmeter to directly measure the potential difference between two points in a circuit.

3. What factors affect the potential difference across two wires?

The potential difference across two wires is affected by the amount of current flowing through the wires and the resistance of the wires. Other factors that can affect potential difference include the length and thickness of the wires, the type of material they are made of, and the temperature.

4. Can the potential difference across two wires be negative?

Yes, the potential difference across two wires can be negative. This typically occurs when the direction of the current flow is opposite to the direction of the electric field. In this case, the potential difference is negative because the electric charges are losing potential energy as they move through the circuit.

5. How does the potential difference across two wires affect the flow of current?

The potential difference across two wires determines the rate at which electric charges flow through the wires, also known as the current. A higher potential difference will result in a higher current, while a lower potential difference will result in a lower current. In other words, the potential difference is directly proportional to the current in a circuit.