Which introductory analysis textbook is most recommended for self-study?

In summary, the three books listed are suitable for self-study introduction to analysis. Shilov is adequate, Kolmogorov is more advanced, and Schramm is more chattier and elaborates on consequences of theorems and their importance. Shilov has hints/answers, Kolmogorov does not, and Schramm has more depth. Analysis: with an introduction to proof is a good starter book.
thrill3rnit3
Gold Member
Introduction to Analysis by Maxwell Rosenlicht
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0486650383/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Elementary Real and Complex Analysis by Georgi Shilov
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486689220/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Introductory Real Analysis by Kolmogorov
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0486612260/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Which one is best suited for self-studying introduction to analysis? Opinions on each one of them would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

opinions on any of the books listed above?

I have Shilov, and it's certainly adequate for self-study assuming this is for a first go at analysis. I would say kolmogorov is more advanced and not necessarily adequate for a first exploration. Kolmogorov goes all the way into measure whereas Shilov doesn't go beyond metric spaces. Alternatively, if you want a gentle introduction, try Michael J Schramm though there aren't any hints or solutions as opposed to Shilov's. It's Dover too.

What background do you have in analysis? Calculus at the level of Stewart, or something more advanced?

naele said:
I have Shilov, and it's certainly adequate for self-study assuming this is for a first go at analysis. I would say kolmogorov is more advanced and not necessarily adequate for a first exploration. Kolmogorov goes all the way into measure whereas Shilov doesn't go beyond metric spaces. Alternatively, if you want a gentle introduction, try Michael J Schramm though there aren't any hints or solutions as opposed to Shilov's. It's Dover too.

Would you recommend Schramm's over Shilov's?

Hard to say, I guess it depends on your learning style. I really liked Schramm's style over Shilov, they're both roughly on the same level of difficulty as far as problems. Schramm is a bit chattier and elaborates on consequences of theorems and their importance. It's nice for students like me who haven't yet reached enough mathematical maturity. I also think his progression is a bit more natural. I certainly like Schramm better than Shilov, but either is good, and Shilov has hints/answers.

How about depth? Which book covers more depth?

I suspect Schramm has more depth since Shilov's book spends a lot of room on some theorems and results of complex analysis. Once Schramm covers the basic theorems of differentiation and integration he moves on to questions of continuity of special functions (dirichlet, and van de waerden) and then the briefest glimpse of measure theory. At the end he constructs the real numbers via dedekind cuts. Also, Shilov spends some time on certain topics that are usually covered in calculus such as arc length and surfaces of revolution.

I recommend Analysis: With an Introduction to Proof by Steven Lay as a starter in analysis. The analysis book by Creighton Buck is very good as well.

I second the nomination of Analysis: with an introduction to proof, by Lay. I recently worked through the 2nd edition of this book and felt like it was at the perfect level for me - I had never taken analysis. It starts you off with logic an proof, goes through sets, functions and cardinality in detail before moving on to the real numbers, continuity, etc. It is not as advanced as some intro books (my wife used Rudin as a math major - not so easy for a beginner!) but will give you a pretty solid understanding of elementary analysis. I thought that the 2nd edition was fine - it was also pretty cheap used online.

Good luck.

Jason

1. What is an elementary analysis text?

An elementary analysis text is a textbook or reference material that covers the fundamental concepts of mathematical analysis. It typically includes topics such as limits, continuity, derivatives, integrals, and series.

2. Who is an elementary analysis text intended for?

Elementary analysis texts are usually intended for undergraduate students studying mathematics, physics, engineering, or other related disciplines. They may also be useful for self-study by anyone interested in learning about mathematical analysis.

3. What are the key topics covered in an elementary analysis text?

The key topics covered in an elementary analysis text include limits, continuity, derivatives, integrals, sequences, series, and convergence. Some texts may also cover basic set theory and the real number system.

4. How does an elementary analysis text differ from a calculus textbook?

An elementary analysis text typically covers the same topics as a calculus textbook, but with a more rigorous and theoretical approach. It may also include additional topics, such as sequences and series, that are not typically covered in a calculus course.

5. How can I use an elementary analysis text to improve my understanding of calculus?

Studying an elementary analysis text can help deepen your understanding of calculus by providing a more rigorous and theoretical foundation for the concepts and techniques you learned in a calculus course. It can also help prepare you for more advanced courses in mathematics and related fields.