What is out of the page and into the page mean in magentic field?

In summary, an electric field that changes over time can induce a magnetic field. The correct equation to use is the Lorentz force equation. Can you show us that equation? Are you familiar with how the vector cross product in that equation works? But my teacher said we use left hand rule, in Calgaryi am not sure, in the textbook, it said use left hand for electron, and right hand for positive
Suy

Homework Statement

I am really confused, and why magnetic field is created in a current,
electron or the wire create the field?

ty, any help would be appreciated

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You can visualize your standard 3 dimensions with one dimension as left-right, one as up-down, and the other as forward-backward. Displaying 3 dimensions on a page is time-consuming, so they use "into the page" for forward and "out of the page" for backward.

I can't really say why something happens, but an electric field that changes over time can induce a magnetic field. In a current, you have a net movement of charges, so the electric field of a charge at some point is changing due to that charge moving farther away.

but where is the page in magnetic field? between two magnet?

also can you teachme how to do this question,
an electron is traveling north through a magnetic field that is vertically upward. in what direction will the magnetic force be?
for this question , if i use left hand rule, how is it possible to move the thumb and and finger both north(upward?)
ty!

Suy said:
also can you teachme how to do this question,
an electron is traveling north through a magnetic field that is vertically upward. in what direction will the magnetic force be?
for this question , if i use left hand rule, how is it possible to move the thumb and and finger both north(upward?)
ty!

We use the right hand rule by convention, not left.

The correct equation to use is the Lorentz force equation. Can you show us that equation? Are you familiar with how the vector cross product in that equation works?

but my teacher said we use left hand rule, in Calgary
i am not sure, in the textbook, it said use left hand for electron, and right hand for positive

this one ?
c529f9170d7d392bb8715bba0cae23c1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Suy said:
i am not sure, in the textbook, it said use left hand for electron, and right hand for positive

In my opinion, that is a bad way to teach the Lorentz Force equation. When there is no electric field (just magnetic field as in your problem statement), the Lorentz Force on a moving charge is given by:

F = qv X B

Where F is the resultant vector force, q is the charge, v is the vector velocity, and B is the vector magnetic field.

q has a + sign if it is positive charge, and a - sign if it has negative charge. That changes the direction of the first vector in the cross product, which is why you use the RHR always, and get the correct answer for both negative and positive charges.

Have you learned the vector cross product yet?

no , i guess, i am new to magnetic and we just finish electric field
Do i need this F = qv X B to answer the question?

Last edited:
Using the right hand rule, a crossed into b gives c

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_hand_rule

Which is what you are doing with the Lorentz force equation. qv crossed into B gives you the force F. If the sign on the charge is negative, that turns the direction of the qv vector around, so you still use the RHR but with the qv vector pointing the opposite way.

Suy said:
but where is the page in magnetic field? between two magnet?
The page is the surface upon which the picture you're viewing is drawn.

can you tell me the answer and i will figure it out, because i don't know much about that equation yet...
ty !

Suy said:
can you tell me the answer and i will figure it out, because i don't know much about that equation yet...
ty !

The answer to which question? We don't tell you answers to your homework problems, but we can try to answer specific questions about things that you are confused about.

Like, look at the 3rd figure down in this wiki article:

It shows you how the magnetic B field circulates around a current-carrying wire. Does that help?

Suy said:

this one ?
c529f9170d7d392bb8715bba0cae23c1.png

I am in Calgary, all of the teachers I had have used the right hand.

berkeman said:
The answer to which question? We don't tell you answers to your homework problems, but we can try to answer specific questions about things that you are confused about.

Like, look at the 3rd figure down in this wiki article:

It shows you how the magnetic B field circulates around a current-carrying wire. Does that help?

I just asked someone, everything is clear for me now.
thx for all

What is out of the page and into the page mean in magnetic field?

In a magnetic field, out of the page and into the page refer to the direction of the magnetic field lines. If the field lines are pointing out of the page, it means the field is directed away from the surface, and if they are pointing into the page, it means the field is directed towards the surface.

How can you determine the direction of the magnetic field?

The direction of the magnetic field can be determined using the right-hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the current, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

What are some real-life examples of magnetic fields?

Some common examples of magnetic fields in everyday life include the Earth's magnetic field, which helps compasses determine direction, and the magnetic fields produced by electric motors and generators.

What is the difference between a magnetic field and an electric field?

A magnetic field is created by moving electric charges, while an electric field is created by stationary electric charges. Additionally, magnetic fields can only exert forces on moving charges, while electric fields can exert forces on both moving and stationary charges.

How are magnetic fields used in technology?

Magnetic fields are used in a variety of technologies, including electric motors, generators, MRI machines, and magnetic storage devices like hard drives. They are also used in particle accelerators and in the production of electricity through power plants.