Finding integral of a helicoid

• Thread starter MasterWu77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the task is to evaluate the double integral of the helicoid with respect to the given parameters u and v. To do this, the coordinate system must be changed, for example to spherical coordinates. When changing the coordinate system, it is important to also apply the appropriate jacobian.
MasterWu77

Homework Statement

Evaluate [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\sqrt{1+x^2+y^2}[/tex] where S is the helicoid: r(u,v) = u cos(v)i + u sin(v)j+vk , with 0[tex]\leq[/tex]u[tex]\leq[/tex]1, 0[tex]\leq[/tex]v[tex]\leq[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex].

The S is the area that we are trying to find. the area of the integral i guess.

Homework Equations

I know i have to use the [tex]\varphi[/tex] ([tex]\theta[/tex],[tex]\phi[/tex]) = (acos[tex]\theta[/tex] sin [tex]\phi[/tex], asin[tex]\theta[/tex] sin [tex]\phi[/tex], acos[tex]\phi[/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution

we did examples like this in class but I'm not sure where to start off. do i need to change the equation of the integral into sin and cos?

Physics news on Phys.org
you don't HAVE to use phi(theta,phi), you can do this in cartesian coordinates... but i think it would be easier to use a different coordinate system. ( i would suggest trying spherical?)

Yes, I you have to change the object of the integral if you want to use a different coordinate system because "x" and "y" are normally used for cartesian coordinates. theta and r are used for polar coordinates, theta, r and z are used for cylindrial coordinates, phi, rho, and theta are typically used for spherical coordinates.

All of these are just variables tho and can really be anything. They stand for angles and radii of the problem.

Remeber tho, when you change the coordinate system of your integral you have to apply the jacobian. ie, for cylindrical coordinates, the r dr dtheta is appended to the integral, or sphereical is some other trig with phi and theta.

Hope this helps somewhat...

1. What is a helicoid?

A helicoid is a three-dimensional geometric shape that resembles a spiral staircase. It is formed by a flat surface that is twisted and curved in a helical pattern.

2. What is the integral of a helicoid?

The integral of a helicoid refers to the mathematical process of finding the total area of the helicoid's surface. It is calculated by integrating the parametric equations that define the helicoid.

3. Why is finding the integral of a helicoid important?

Finding the integral of a helicoid is important in many fields of science and engineering, as it allows us to calculate the surface area of objects with a helical shape. This knowledge is useful in designing structures and analyzing the behavior of fluids or other materials that exhibit helical patterns.

4. How is the integral of a helicoid calculated?

The integral of a helicoid is calculated by using a double integral, where the limits of integration correspond to the parameters of the helicoid's parametric equations. The resulting integral is then evaluated using techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the integral of a helicoid?

Yes, the integral of a helicoid has many real-world applications. For example, it is used in the design of spiral staircases, helical pipes, and turbine blades. It is also important in the study of fluid dynamics, such as the motion of water in rivers or the flow of air in turbines.