Current & Charge Homework: Calculate Electrons/Charge

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems involving calculating the number of electrons passing through a wire and an electric beam. The solution involves using the given current and the charge of an electron to determine the total number of electrons passing through in a given time period.
aurao2003

Homework Statement

Hi, Can you please help with the following:
1. Calculate the number of electrons passing a point in the wire in 10min when the current is 5A

2. In an electric beam experiment the beam current is 1.2mA. Calculate
a. the charge flowing along the beam each minute
b.the number of electrons that pass along the beam each minute

Homework Equations

1 c= 1.6x10^19

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Can you please help with the following:
1. Calculate the number of electrons passing a point in the wire in 10min when the current is 5A

2. In an electric beam experiment the beam current is 1.2mA. Calculate
a. the charge flowing along the beam each minute
b.the number of electrons that pass along the beam each minute
2. Homework Equations
1 c= 1.6x10^19

Sure, I'd be happy to help with your homework. To calculate the number of electrons passing a point in the wire in 10 minutes when the current is 5A, we can use the formula I = Q/t, where I is the current, Q is the charge, and t is the time. Rearranging the formula to solve for Q, we get Q = I*t. Plugging in the given values, we get Q = (5A)(10min) = 50C.

For the second part, we can use the formula Q = I*t to calculate the charge flowing along the beam each minute. Plugging in the given values, we get Q = (1.2mA)(1min) = 0.0012C. To calculate the number of electrons passing along the beam each minute, we can use the fact that 1C of charge is equivalent to 1.6x10^19 electrons. Therefore, the number of electrons passing along the beam each minute would be (0.0012C)(1.6x10^19 electrons/C) = 1.92x10^16 electrons. I hope this helps!

What is current and charge?

Current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor, measured in amperes (A). Charge is a fundamental property of matter and is the amount of electric force an object possesses, measured in coulombs (C).

How do you calculate the number of electrons in a given charge?

To calculate the number of electrons in a given charge, you can use the formula n = Q/e, where n is the number of electrons, Q is the charge in coulombs, and e is the charge of one electron (1.602 x 10^-19 C).

What is the charge of one electron?

The charge of one electron is 1.602 x 10^-19 coulombs. This value is considered the fundamental unit of charge in the SI system.

How do you convert between coulombs and electrons?

To convert between coulombs and electrons, you can use the equation Q = ne, where Q is the charge in coulombs, n is the number of electrons, and e is the charge of one electron (1.602 x 10^-19 C).

What is the relationship between current and charge?

The relationship between current and charge is that current is directly proportional to the amount of charge flowing through a conductor. This means that as the amount of charge increases, the current also increases. The equation for this relationship is I = Q/t, where I is the current in amperes, Q is the charge in coulombs, and t is the time in seconds.