Mathematical relationship between reaction time and reaction rate HELP

In summary, the conversation discussed the mathematical relationships between reaction rate, reaction time, and concentration in an Iodine clock lab report. Question 1 and 2 both involve the relationship between reaction rate and time, with the analogy of speed and time of travel. The correct equation for question 2 is r=k[A]n[B]m. Question 3 will be easier to solve once question 1 is understood.
lanfear

Homework Statement

I am writing a report for an Iodine clock lab, the questions I am having trouble with are:

1.What mathematical relationship exists between reaction rate and reaction time?

2.What mathematical relationship exists between concentration and reaction time?

3.What mathematical relationship exists between concentration and reciprocal of time?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty sure that the answer for question 2 is r=k[A]nm. I know that when reaction rate increases then reaction time decreases, but I am not sure how I should be expressing that. Is the answer for number one the same as number two? I am totally at a loss for number 3. HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
2 is not r=k[A]nm because r is reaction rate, not reaction time.

For number 1), what's the relationship between speed and the time needed to travel 1 km? If speed increases by a factor of 2, what happens to time? Speed is analogous to reaction rate and time of travel is analogous to reaction time.

Hint: number 3 will be simple after you get number 1

thank you! :) this helps.

1. What is the mathematical relationship between reaction time and reaction rate?

The mathematical relationship between reaction time and reaction rate is inverse. This means that as reaction time increases, reaction rate decreases, and vice versa. This can be represented by the equation: Reaction Rate = 1/Reaction Time.

2. How does temperature affect the mathematical relationship between reaction time and reaction rate?

Temperature has a direct effect on the mathematical relationship between reaction time and reaction rate. As temperature increases, the reaction rate also increases. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for the reactants to collide and increase the likelihood of successful collisions, resulting in a faster reaction rate.

3. How do catalysts affect the mathematical relationship between reaction time and reaction rate?

Catalysts do not affect the mathematical relationship between reaction time and reaction rate. However, they do increase the reaction rate by lowering the activation energy required for the reaction to occur. This means that the same reaction can occur in a shorter amount of time with the presence of a catalyst.

4. Is the mathematical relationship between reaction time and reaction rate the same for all chemical reactions?

No, the mathematical relationship between reaction time and reaction rate can vary for different chemical reactions. Factors such as reactant concentration, temperature, and the presence of catalysts can affect this relationship differently for different reactions.

5. How can the mathematical relationship between reaction time and reaction rate be used to determine the rate constant of a reaction?

The mathematical relationship between reaction time and reaction rate can be used to determine the rate constant of a reaction by plotting a graph of reaction rate against reaction time and calculating the slope of the line. The slope of the line represents the rate constant, which is a measure of the reaction rate at a specific temperature and concentration of reactants.