Phd in Computer science OR Information technology OR in Management Subject?

In summary, the individual has a bachelor's degree in engineering and 1.5 years of industry experience as a software programmer. They also have an MBA with a major in marketing and minor in human resources from India. They are currently on a spouse visa in the USA and are unable to find a job. They are interested in pursuing a PhD in either management or computer science and are seeking guidance on which would be more lucrative and easier to do. Their CGPA is 6.4 out of 7 from their bachelor's to MBA. The conversation also discusses the challenges of a continuously changing field like computer science and the value of a PhD in management.

PhD

• IN MANAGEMENT

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IN COMPUTER SCINECE

• INDUSTRY JOB AFTER PhD IN MANAGEMENT

• INDUSTRY JOB AFTER PhD IN COMPUTER SCINECE

• ACADEMICIAN AFTER PhD IN MANAGEMENT

• ACADEMICIAN AFTER PhD IN COMPUTER SCINECE

• Total voters
upadhyaya

PLEASE GUIDE ME...
MY PROFILE IS
>> BACHELORS IN ENGINEERING [INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY]--FROM INDIA
>> 1.5 YRS OF INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE AS SOFTWARE PROGRAMMER [SMALL SIZE FIRM]
>> M.B.A [MARKETING AS MAJOR SUBJECT AND HUMAN RESOURCES AS MINOR SUBJECT] --FROM INDIA
NOW EM IN USA ON SPOUSE VISA SO CANNOT GET JOB HERE.
I WANNA DO PhD FROM ANY GUD UNIVERSITY IN U.S.A. ,GUIDE WHICH ONE WILL BE MORE LUCRATIVE AND EASY TO DO ,PhD IN MANAGEMENT OR COMPUTER SCIENCE MY CGPA IS 6.4 OUT OF 7 THROUGH OUT FROM B.Tech TO M.B.A

Physics news on Phys.org
upadhyaya said:
PhD IN MANAGEMENT OR COMPUTER SCIENCE
Comp sci is more lucrative and more practical. As far as I know a phd in management is kind of like a phd in teaching; it's all about studying the processes and methods (industrial/organizational psychology) and is way on the academic side of the field, so it's not particularly sought for in hires. As to which is easier? They're incomparable 'cause they're so different.

thankx for the prompt reply.

but the problem with CS is tat its a continuously changing branch where new softwares keep on coming and going,wat r the chances tat my phd wil nt xpire with time?
second wat r the chances of getting job in industry with my phd in competition with people with no phd but with hefty work ex.
wat r the chances of job in industry after phd in management?

upadhyaya said:
but the problem with CS is tat its a continuously changing branch where new softwares keep on coming and going,wat r the chances tat my phd wil nt xpire with time?
You're messing up comp sci. with industry programming trends. A comp sci phd is about exploring different fields of computer science or using cs skills in a new applied way; even if the language isn't used much anymore, you'll still retain all those skills and be able to put them to good use in some field. If your phd expired, it wasn't worth much in the first place. I'll give you an example: A lot of my research is basically number crunching on vast swaths of data. I mostly use python, which is the cool trendy language, but if python goes out of fashion or the company uses a different language, I can still do all my number crunching 'cause I know the math and I know how to learn new languages. The language/software/etc. is basically just a tool to get the research done, it shouldn't define the research. This is even true of thesis that involve new language design, 'cause the language is always just the prototype of whatever ideas the person was studying.

second wat r the chances of getting job in industry with my phd in competition with people with no phd but with hefty work ex.
Depends on the field. Some jobs require a phd, others lots of work experience; which jobs you get will be as much a function of what you apply for as anything else.

wat r the chances of job in industry after phd in management?
Can you code? I don't think a phd in management is going to help you in any way shape or form unless you want to be a management consultant.

I would recommend that you consider pursuing a PhD in either Computer Science or Management, depending on your interests and career goals. Both fields have a strong demand for highly skilled professionals and offer a variety of opportunities for research and career advancement.

In terms of which one would be more lucrative and easier to do, it ultimately depends on your strengths and interests. If you have a strong background in computer science and are passionate about technology and innovation, a PhD in Computer Science may be a better fit for you. On the other hand, if you have a strong background in business and are interested in leadership and management, a PhD in Management may be a better fit.

In terms of your profile, your Bachelor's degree in Information Technology and industry experience as a software programmer will be beneficial for a PhD in Computer Science. However, your MBA with a focus on marketing and human resources may also provide valuable skills for a PhD in Management.

It would be best to research different universities and their PhD programs in both fields to determine which one aligns with your interests and career goals. You can also reach out to professors and current PhD students in those programs to get a better understanding of the curriculum, research opportunities, and job prospects after graduation.

Additionally, your CGPA of 6.4 out of 7 is impressive and will be an important factor in the admissions process. However, keep in mind that other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements will also be considered.

Overall, I would recommend that you carefully consider your interests and goals before deciding on a PhD program. Both Computer Science and Management are promising fields with opportunities for growth and success. Good luck in your decision and future academic pursuits.

1. What is the difference between a PhD in Computer Science, Information Technology, and Management?

A PhD in Computer Science focuses on advanced research and theory in computer science, such as computer systems, algorithms, and artificial intelligence. Information Technology (IT) focuses on the application of technology in business and organizational settings, including topics such as database management, network security, and e-commerce. A PhD in Management typically covers topics related to business management, leadership, and organizational behavior. While there may be some overlap between these fields, the focus of each PhD program is distinct.

2. What are the admission requirements for a PhD in Computer Science, Information Technology, or Management?

Admission requirements vary depending on the specific program and university, but generally, applicants are expected to have a bachelor's and/or master's degree in a related field, such as computer science, information technology, or business. They may also need to submit GRE scores, letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and a research proposal. Some programs may also require work experience in the field.

3. How long does it take to complete a PhD in Computer Science, Information Technology, or Management?

The length of time to complete a PhD program varies, but on average, it takes 4-5 years. This can be affected by factors such as the student's research progress, the specific requirements of their program, and whether they are studying full-time or part-time. Some students may also take longer if they need to complete additional coursework or participate in teaching or other responsibilities.

4. What career opportunities are available for someone with a PhD in Computer Science, Information Technology, or Management?

Earning a PhD in any of these fields can open up a variety of career opportunities, both in academia and industry. Graduates may pursue careers as professors, researchers, or consultants in their respective fields. They may also work in roles such as data scientist, IT manager, or business analyst, depending on their area of specialization and interests.

5. How does a PhD in Computer Science, Information Technology, or Management differ from other doctoral degrees?

A PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) is a research-focused degree that typically prepares graduates for careers in academia or research. Other types of doctoral degrees, such as a Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) or Doctor of Education (EdD), may have a more practical and professional focus. While these degrees may also involve research, they are typically geared towards preparing graduates for leadership roles in their respective fields.