Definition of electric current

In summary, electric current is defined as the time rate of change of charge, but in a steady flow of electrons, the number of charges entering a certain section of a wire is equal to the number of charges exiting from the other side, resulting in a current of 0. However, when the flow of electrons is increased, the current becomes non-zero. This is because current is defined by the movement of charge, and in a steady flow, the current density is constant.
aalnaif
I'm confused by the definition of electric current. It is commonly defined as the time rate of change of charge (I=dQ/dt). However, considering a wire with a steady flow of electrons (a constant, non-zero current), wouldn't the number of charges entering a certain section of the wire equal the number of charges exiting from the other side of the section, such that dQ/dt=0?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose a general watching the troops saw 10 soldiers per second marching past.

This is and example of steady flow.

So he tells them to speed up and now 100 soldiers per second march past.

Again this is steady flow.

Flow of charge(s) is just like this.

Studiot is correct. Current is defined by the movement of charge. You are computing a difference which is more like the divergence of charge.

@aalnaif

Just to expand a bit on the answers others have given, what you described in your post would be a current density (i.e. current per unit area or volume), as opposed to the current. Your analysis is correct in that the current density in your example is not changing, however the current is clearly non-zero, as you yourself stated in the example.

see it is amount of charge passing through the given cross section in unit time . so if 10 C charge pases in i sec. then I= 10 A

What is the definition of electric current?

Electric current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor. It is measured in amperes (A) and is typically represented by the symbol "I".

How is electric current different from voltage?

Electric current is the flow of charge, while voltage is the force that drives this flow. Voltage is measured in volts (V) and is represented by the symbol "V".

What causes electric current?

Electric current is caused by the movement of electrons through a conductor. This movement is usually driven by a difference in voltage between two points in the conductor.

What are some examples of electric current?

Some common examples of electric current include the flow of electricity through wires in a circuit, the movement of ions in an electrolyte solution, and the flow of electrons in a vacuum tube.

How is electric current measured?

Electric current is measured using an ammeter, which is placed in series with the conductor through which the current is flowing. The ammeter measures the amount of charge passing through the conductor per unit time and displays this as amperes (A).