Clebsch-Gordan Coefficients

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of self-teaching quantum mechanics and specifically calculating eigenvalues of J using CG coefficients. The participants discuss various resources, including Zare's book and Straumann's book, that provide insight into this topic. Ultimately, it is clarified that the confusion stemmed from a misunderstanding of the coupled and uncoupled representations of angular momentum vectors.
djeikyb
Trying to self-teach myself more quantum mechanics. Reading Zare's "Angular Momentum- Understanding Spatial Aspects in Chemistry and Physics". I don't really understand how to calculate eigenvalues of J using CG coefficients (I mean, I know the eigenvalues of J, just trying to calculate them a different way). Any suggestions of other textbooks that go into more detail?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump.

Any literature suggestions at all?

The lack of help makes djeikyb very sad... :(

Why do you think you can get the eigenvalues from the Clebsch Gordan coefficients? AFAIK you look them up in a table, and there is is assumed that you know the new eigenvalues.

There is a sketch of the decomposition of the spin group into a Clebsch Gordan series, via the characters of the irreducible representations of SU(2) in "Quantenmechanik: Ein Grundkurs über nichtrelativistische Quantentheorie" by Norbert Straumann. Together with other stuff in that direction.

The hole idea is that J has to carry a representation of the complex rotations. It is given by the tensor product of the individual rotations of the particles. These tensor products decompose into different irreducible representations. Each representation goes along with one eigenvalue. If you know which representations are present, then you know which eigenvalues, are contained in a certain state.

Calculating the eigenvalues should be possible by calculating the eigenstates of a certain representation and then applying J. I don't see how that is helpful though. You just shift the problem from J do some other Operator D^j.

Yeah.
Turns out my problem was a misunderstanding on my part.

Got it all figured out now.
Thanks.

What I wasn't understanding was the coupled representation of two angular momentum vectors using a unitary transformation with Clebsch-Gordan coefficients and the uncoupled representation.

Got it now though, and now I can see that my question didn't make sense.

What are Clebsch-Gordan Coefficients?

Clebsch-Gordan Coefficients are mathematical quantities used to describe the relationship between two quantum systems. They are used in the theory of angular momentum to determine the possible states of a system given the states of its individual components.

What is the significance of Clebsch-Gordan Coefficients?

Clebsch-Gordan Coefficients play a crucial role in the study of quantum mechanics, specifically in the theory of angular momentum. They are used to calculate the probability amplitudes for transitions between different quantum states.

How are Clebsch-Gordan Coefficients calculated?

Clebsch-Gordan Coefficients are calculated using the Clebsch-Gordan formula, which involves the combination of quantum numbers for the individual components of a system. This formula takes into account the coupling of the individual components to determine the possible states of the entire system.

What is the physical interpretation of Clebsch-Gordan Coefficients?

The physical interpretation of Clebsch-Gordan Coefficients is that they represent the probability amplitudes for transitions between different quantum states. They also provide information about the relative orientation of the individual components of a system.

In what areas of science are Clebsch-Gordan Coefficients used?

Clebsch-Gordan Coefficients are used in a variety of fields, including quantum mechanics, atomic physics, nuclear physics, and solid-state physics. They are also used in other areas such as chemistry, astronomy, and engineering.