Is double majoring in EE and Physics a wise choice for my career goals?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of majoring in both EE and physics, with the individual's true passion being physics but also desiring the practicality of an EE degree. They hope to leverage this degree in graduate school and potentially work in radio astronomy or instrument design. The conversation also touches on the benefits and drawbacks of an Engineering Physics program, as well as the potential career paths with a dual degree. It is suggested that majoring in physics and taking electives in EE could be a good option, as the individual's strong physics background could give them an edge in practical work. Overall, it is seen as a decent plan given the individual's situation and desired path after graduation.
confusedinMA
I am thinking I will major in EE and Physics is this a wise course of action? My true passion has always been physics however I also wish to have the practicality of the EE degree to fall back on if for some reason higher level studies in physics don't work out( I hear it is very difficult to get a good job with just a BS in physics).

I hope to be able to leverage this degree in graduate school as I hope to work in radio astronomy or instrument design where an EE background may put me at an advantage.

In terms of industry how will I be viewed? Favorably compared to those with just EE degrees as I have further fundamental knowledge?

The one unfortunate aspect is that I will not be able to take any electives in either physics or EE as the required courses for each major will fill out my schedule, how might this hurt me?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say that you should do one in engineering physics instead.

Klockan3 said:
I'd say that you should do one in engineering physics instead.

Eh, such a degree isn't offered where I am. Plus, Engineering Physics programs might not be ABET accredited so I'd lose one of the main benefits of doing a BSEE.

confusedinMA said:
Eh, such a degree isn't offered where I am. Plus, Engineering Physics programs might not be ABET accredited so I'd lose one of the main benefits of doing a BSEE.

What kind of graduate program are you looking to get into? If your graduate program is a physics program, ABET accreditation won't really matter. If it's EE and you plan on doing your instrument design after graduation then it will matter.

fss said:
What kind of graduate program are you looking to get into? If your graduate program is a physics program, ABET accreditation won't really matter. If it's EE and you plan on doing your instrument design after graduation then it will matter.

My two option as I see is that I would go into Physics/Astronomy graduate school as an experimentalist or I forgo graduate school(or only get a masters) and go to work as an electrical engineer. Thus having both degree will cover both paths.

confusedinMA said:
Thus having both degree will cover both paths.

You will not be getting two degrees (which would require double the credit hours)- you'll be getting one degree with two majors. But given your situation and desired path after undergraduate it seems like a decent plan.

confusedinMA said:
Well, of course that would be if it was offered and was ABET accredited.

how bout majoring in physics and spending your electives in EE/minor in EE?

I figure a year long class in semiconductor physics/circuits (applied cond. matter) and 1 year long class in signals would put you in great position to do EE stuff.
you'll probably be much better at E&M then any EE major and you should be learning programming anyways...

flemmyd said:

I figure a year long class in semiconductor physics/circuits (applied cond. matter) and 1 year long class in signals would put you in great position to do EE stuff.
you'll probably be much better at E&M then any EE major and you should be learning programming anyways...

Personally I'd be fine with that I really dislike some of these EE classes that are required anyway. But i feel like in the event I don't end up in Physics grad school I'd have a much harder time finding a job without an official BSEE. Atleast that is what the general opinion seems to be.

flemmyd said:

This is excellent advice IMHO. Add digital signal processing, if it's not already part of a year in Signals and Systems, and you will have what you need to perform practical work. Your physics background will give you an edge in terms of mathematical sophistication, and the ability to tackle most of what an EE will do. You'll be able to pick up additional stuff on the job.

As for physics making you unhirable, I think it's often the opposite. Read aerospace job postings, e.g., and you'll usually see "EE or physics degree" listed.

1. Is it possible to double major in EE and Physics?

Yes, it is possible to double major in EE (electrical engineering) and Physics. Many universities offer this option for students who are interested in both areas of study.

2. What are the benefits of double majoring in EE and Physics?

Double majoring in EE and Physics can provide a well-rounded education in both theoretical and practical aspects of engineering and physics. It can also open up more career opportunities in fields such as research, technology, and academia.

3. Will double majoring in EE and Physics be more challenging than single majoring?

Double majoring in any subject will typically be more challenging than single majoring, as it requires a heavier course load and more time and effort. However, if you are passionate about both EE and Physics, the benefits may outweigh the challenges.

4. How will double majoring in EE and Physics benefit my career goals?

Double majoring in EE and Physics can benefit your career goals by providing a strong foundation in both fields, making you a well-rounded and versatile candidate for job opportunities. It can also help you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are highly valued in many industries.

5. Are there any drawbacks to double majoring in EE and Physics?

The main drawback of double majoring in EE and Physics is the increased workload and potential for a longer time to graduation. It may also limit your ability to participate in extracurricular activities or take on internships. It's important to carefully consider your time management skills and prioritize your goals before committing to a double major.