How do you convert Heat into stored Energy/Electricity?

In summary, you could heat water and put the water in insulated thermos bottles. Depending on what you want to use the energy for later on, you might want to choose different methods of storing it. Forgive me, but generally what could that generate and for what time period?
nukeman
Hi everyone,

I am no expert in any means, so if what I am asking is silly, just tell me.

This is an example.

Lets say I have a stove top, and I turn it on full for an hour. Without putting anything on it, how can I harness the heat energy and store it, into let's say something like a battery, or anything I can use to power something.

The stove top is giving out some great heat for an hour. I am wondering if there is a way to harsness the heat energy the stove top is giving off, and storing it.

Does this make any sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
Normally you'd need to convert that heat into mechanical motion which can convert that into electrical energy.

Like how a turbine is used to generate electricity. Other than that, I do not think there is any directly way to go from heat -> electricity.

nukeman said:
Hi everyone,

I am no expert in any means, so if what I am asking is silly, just tell me.

This is an example.

Lets say I have a stove top, and I turn it on full for an hour. Without putting anything on it, how can I harness the heat energy and store it, into let's say something like a battery, or anything I can use to power something.

The stove top is giving out some great heat for an hour. I am wondering if there is a way to harsness the heat energy the stove top is giving off, and storing it.

Does this make any sense?
You could heat water and put the water in insulated thermos bottles. Depending on what you want to use the energy for later on, you might want to choose different methods of storing it.

Thanks for the reply!

I see what you are saying, thanks for clearing that up.

If you can answer this: Example, if I was to hook something up to my bathtub nozzle, that when I fill up the bathtube and as the water pours out of the nozzle it spins a super tiny turbine, how much energy could it store, if theoretically I had something to store the power.

?

rock.freak667 said:
Normally you'd need to convert that heat into mechanical motion which can convert that into electrical energy.

Like how a turbine is used to generate electricity. Other than that, I do not think there is any directly way to go from heat -> electricity.

You might generate 100W or so.

russ_watters said:
You might generate 100W or so.

Thanks for the reply!

Forgive me, but generally what could that generate and for what time period?

:)

I'm not sure what you mean - 100W is 100W.

...though the time to fill your tub is probably 5-10 min, right?

russ_watters said:
I'm not sure what you mean - 100W is 100W.

...though the time to fill your tub is probably 5-10 min, right?

I see. So, if I am getting this right, if it takes me 10 minutes to fill my tube, and generates 100W, I could run a 100W light for 10 minutes?

Hey really appreciate the info here!

Would you happen to know where I can get info on how much powering a 100w light costs for 10 minutes, or whatever timeframe to go by?

BTW: Awesome astrophotography page! I just bought my first telescope, 6inch dob skywatcher. After I get much better using it, I want to eventually go to something simular to your setup. Nice pics!

russ_watters said:
Correct.

...also, I just ran some quick numbers and 100W might be a little ambitious. 50W is more realistic. Here's a calculator for pump (or turbine) power: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pumps-power-d_505.html

I couldn't help but be reminded of http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2045#comic".

To make this post on topic and useful, a watt is a unit of power. Energy is often confusingly measured in kilowatt hours, i.e., the energy used by a 1 kilowatt device over 1 hour. To get energy usage just multiply power by time. A 100 watt bulb ran for 10 hours is 1000 watt hours (1 kilowatt). The price of a kilowatt hour varies, and you can check your electric bill for a local price. A general estimate for the US might be 15 cents per killowatt hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
nukeman said:
Would you happen to know where I can get info on how much powering a 100w light costs for 10 minutes, or whatever timeframe to go by?
Any electric bill will do. My electricity costs about $.16/kWh so 100W for 10 minutes costs about $.0027
BTW: Awesome astrophotography page! I just bought my first telescope, 6inch dob skywatcher. After I get much better using it, I want to eventually go to something simular to your setup. Nice pics!
Thanks!

Hi, nukeman
Wiki radioisotope thermoelectric generator may be of your interest. Also heat sources of high and of low temperatures produce electricity by technology applied in coal or oil fire or nuclear power plants.
Regards.

You can turn a temperature differential directly into electricity using a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling_engine" . The efficiency is fairly low however, and suffice it to say, you spend a lot more energy running the stove then you could get back from the heat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to point out that magnetohydrodynamic (MHD) generator wasn't mentioned. Such system involves a container with ionized gas (plasma), a pipe in with a horizontal constant magnetic field turned on and electrodes at the top and bottom sides of the pipe. If one used the heat to raise kinetic energy of gas inside the container, then releasing gas through the pipe and the magnetic field would make the positive ions and negative electrons flow vertically into opposite directions due to Lorentz force, thus giving a potential difference between the electrodes.
This design is only one type of MHD generators (Faraday's, to be exact). Wikipedia gives other two: Disk and Hall generators.
I don't think that my answer is useful for nukeman, but such ways of getting electricity by only having a heat source should also be kept in mind :)

russ_watters said:
Any electric bill will do. My electricity costs about $.16/kWh so 100W for 10 minutes costs about $.0027 Thanks!

The OP also ought to check to see how much he pays for the water. It's bound to be more than the value of the electricity he generated.

1. How does heat get converted into stored energy/electricity?

Heat can be converted into stored energy or electricity through a process called thermoelectric conversion. This process involves the use of thermoelectric materials, which have the ability to convert heat into electricity. When these materials are exposed to a temperature difference, an electric current is generated, which can be stored in batteries or used to power electrical devices.

2. What are the most common methods used to convert heat into stored energy/electricity?

The most common methods used to convert heat into stored energy or electricity are thermoelectric conversion, thermionic conversion, and thermophotovoltaic conversion. Thermoelectric conversion involves the use of thermoelectric materials, while thermionic conversion uses the principle of thermionic emission to generate electricity. Thermophotovoltaic conversion, on the other hand, uses a combination of thermal radiation and photovoltaic cells to produce electricity.

3. Can any type of heat source be converted into stored energy/electricity?

Yes, any type of heat source can be converted into stored energy or electricity through the use of appropriate conversion methods. However, the efficiency of the conversion process may vary depending on the type of heat source and the conversion method used.

4. What are the advantages of converting heat into stored energy/electricity?

Converting heat into stored energy or electricity has several advantages. It is a renewable and sustainable process, as heat is constantly being generated by various sources such as the sun, geothermal energy, and waste heat from industrial processes. It also helps to reduce carbon emissions and reliance on fossil fuels, making it an environmentally friendly option.

5. Are there any limitations to converting heat into stored energy/electricity?

One of the main limitations of converting heat into stored energy or electricity is the efficiency of the conversion process. Currently, the efficiency of thermoelectric materials is relatively low, which limits their practical applications. Additionally, the initial cost of implementing these conversion methods may be high, but the long-term benefits make it a worthwhile investment.