Do electrical engineers have to be good programmers?

• Thread starter huskerwr38
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrical
In summary, I think that it is important for electrical engineers to be able to program, but it depends on the field that they are going into.
huskerwr38
I'm in my 1st year of my EE program and I have found out that I'm not that good of a programmer. I'm learning assembly language right now and have learned java, however, doing these programming assignments are very hard for me. So I was wondering how essential it is for electrical engineers to be good programmers? I know it probably depends on the field, so I'm mainly interested in power and energy engineering. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
huskerwr38 said:
I'm in my 1st year of my EE program and I have found out that I'm not that good of a programmer. I'm learning assembly language right now and have learned java, however, doing these programming assignments are very hard for me. So I was wondering how essential it is for electrical engineers to be good programmers? I know it probably depends on the field, so I'm mainly interested in power and energy engineering. Thanks.
If you are a good engineer, you can do programming adequately if the need arises. I've met a great number of people who claimed they were not good programers, and went on to become quite good at it.

As for the need, it depends on what you do, as you say. There are many areas where the need for programming is no longer there because more sophisticated tools are available now. With your example of power/energy, programming in Matlab is important, however now much work is done with Simulink which is a block level simulation tool. Hence you might get by without too much programming, but you would at least need to be able to do it.

programming is a powerful tool and I recommend you develop proficiency with at least one programming language. From there you can always transfer the skill to another language. In your case Matlab may be a good choice. And, it might be good to know C too as it is still used extensively for programming microcontroller systems.

I wouldn't worry to much about it. There are many different routes you can take as a EE. I'm more of a physics based design engineer, so I have to be good with knowledge, math, mathcad, and a couple of other packages.
I have a friend that does more with testing, so he has to be very good at adaptig to new equipment and programming (Things I would flunk at).
Then again, there are knowledge-based engineering careers. I had a friend that worked for the electric utility and another that worked for the FAA. Neither was required to program, or perform what I consider design. However, they had to keep up with their industry and excercise that knowledge maintaining and growing their infrastructure.
Anyway, it goes on and on. Having a difficult time with assembly code doesn't reflect much.
As a hint, though, I've always found assembly easier if:
- You get a scope to watch the ports toggle
- You get all the ports toggling first
- You write everything out with dummied down diagrams until your confident before writing.
- You make little "test" fixtures that tell you how certain peices are doing then put those pieces together. For example, I'd never have the confidence to write the UART code, the A/D code, and the interrupt handler without first building each seperate.

Best Luck,

Mike

Most E&Es I know don't have to be electrical engineers. In fact, having forgotten nearly everything they've learned in school, is not a drawback, but makes them poor conversationalists in the field of their choice.

In my company we have many electrical engineers who specialize in power conversion (some who finished a PhD in the subject) and they are very good at what they do, but they also happen to be lousy programmers.

So I would say their example shows that in your fields of interest it is not absolutely essential. But it certainly doesn't hurt either and can often be very helpful. And you likely need the course credit to complete the program, and in that sense, it is essential. Good Luck. :)

1. Can electrical engineers be successful without programming skills?

While programming skills are not a strict requirement for all electrical engineering positions, having a strong understanding of programming can greatly enhance an electrical engineer's career opportunities and success. Many modern electronic devices and systems rely heavily on software, so having programming knowledge can be extremely valuable.

2. Is it necessary for electrical engineers to learn multiple programming languages?

It is not necessary for an electrical engineer to learn multiple programming languages, but it can be beneficial. Different languages have different strengths and are used for different purposes, so knowing more than one can allow an engineer to choose the most efficient solution for a given problem.

3. How does programming fit into the field of electrical engineering?

Programming is an essential part of electrical engineering, as it allows engineers to design, simulate, and test electronic systems. It also helps with the implementation of control systems, data analysis, and optimization of system performance.

4. Can an electrical engineer work in a programming-related job?

Yes, there are many programming-related jobs that an electrical engineer can pursue, such as embedded system design, software engineering, and data analysis. These roles require a combination of electrical engineering knowledge and programming skills.

5. Are programming skills more important for certain specialties within electrical engineering?

Programming skills can be particularly important for specialties such as digital systems design, signal processing, and control systems. However, having programming knowledge can be beneficial in any area of electrical engineering, as it allows for more efficient and effective problem-solving.