Force acting on a flat plate that is moving trough fluid

In summary, the conversation is discussing the need for a formula to calculate the force acting on a flat plate moving through air, specifically in the context of rocket simulation. The suggested formula is F = 0.5 X Cd X q X v^2 X P, where Cd is the drag coefficient and the other variables represent density, velocity, and size of the plate.
deluksic
soo as the title says, i need formula for force acting on a plate that is moving trough fluid, in my case air... need it for rocket simulation because of its flat stabilizers...

i thought like this:

a flat plate is moving in any direction (yeah that complicates things... but keep it simple) so i get the normal component of speed on the plate, then i calc somthing like this:

F = q*v*P where q is density of fluid, v is velocity, and P is size of plate (m2)

**plate has no width... in my case**

thats kinduh dum formula but i need real one :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Try

F = 0.5 X Cd X q X v^2 X P

where variables are as you selected above and Cd is the drag coefficient.

1. What is a flat plate and how does it move through fluid?

A flat plate is a two-dimensional object with a flat surface. When it moves through a fluid, it experiences a force called drag, which is caused by the fluid pushing against the plate in the opposite direction of its motion.

2. What factors affect the force acting on a flat plate moving through fluid?

The force acting on a flat plate is affected by the velocity of the fluid, the viscosity of the fluid, the size and shape of the plate, and the angle of the plate relative to the direction of motion.

3. How is the force acting on a flat plate calculated?

The force acting on a flat plate is calculated using the drag equation, which takes into account the factors mentioned above. The equation is F = 0.5ρAv²Cd, where F is the force, ρ is the density of the fluid, A is the surface area of the plate, v is the velocity of the fluid, and Cd is the drag coefficient.

4. Can the force acting on a flat plate be reduced?

Yes, the force acting on a flat plate can be reduced by altering the factors that affect it. For example, reducing the velocity of the fluid, increasing the viscosity of the fluid, or changing the shape and angle of the plate can all decrease the force acting on it.

5. How is the force acting on a flat plate used in practical applications?

The force acting on a flat plate moving through fluid is an important concept in fields such as aerodynamics and hydrodynamics. It is used to design efficient vehicles, such as airplanes and submarines, and to calculate the power and energy requirements for fluid flow systems.