A Couple Graduate School Application Questions

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the individual is interested in continuing on to graduate school after completing their undergraduate degree. They have questions about how their GPAs from a local community college and regular university will be factored into their overall GPA. They are also concerned about their lack of research experience, but are unsure if their work experience can be counted towards research credit. They are seeking advice and guidance on how to best prepare for graduate school and are considering taking a summer off to focus on research. They are encouraged to reach out to professors or advisors for support and assistance.
erok81
Like most other people here once I am done with my undergraduate, I'd like to continue on to graduate school. I have a couple questions that I can't really find in ZapperZ's thread or anywhere else. Since my situation seems to be uncommon (at least half of it).

My questions arose after reading this thread that was posted here - http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3421

First off is GPA.

I did my first two years at a local CC with a 4.0 GPA and have been at a regular university for a few semesters and have will probably have a 3.5 after this semester. :redface:

How do the two GPA's factor into my overall GPA? Since I will be taking nothing but hard courses at the second school I don't see finishing with a 4.0 there. Do I somehow factor in my previous 4.0 or does that not matter anymore? The credits transferred to my university but not the GPA.

Second is research.

I work full time while going to school. I can do classes and work fine. But fitting research into that mix is impossible. I am going to try to do some over one of the coming summer semesters (I usually take classes over the summer as well, but will take one summer off for research). Obviously I will be lacking in the research area. My question is - can I factor work into research credit somehow? I know I won't have the contacts and professor relations but I'll just have to deal with that.

I've had two good jobs while attending school. Some of the things I have done at work are kind of research related (or at least what I think research could be like). The first job (where I was a manager) I researched remodels all of the US, surveyed builders, etc. I came up with a spreadsheet where you could input the location and square footages and it would pop out prices for paint, carpet, appliances, ect that would always leave us with a ~10% profit margin. My current job I fix NAND flash-based memory by diagnosing product, root causing product failures, reporting on those failures to find trends etc. I can go on and on but this is getting a tad long. :tongue:

Can any of that work experience factor into research or am I out of luck?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your questions and concerns about continuing on to graduate school. I understand that your situation may be uncommon, but know that there are many resources and support available to help guide you through the process.

Regarding your first question about GPA, typically graduate schools will take into account all of your undergraduate coursework, including your grades from both your local CC and regular university. However, each school may have their own specific policies and procedures for calculating GPA, so it would be best to check with the graduate programs you are interested in to see how they handle transfer credits and multiple GPAs.

As for research experience, it is always beneficial to have some research experience when applying to graduate school, but it is not always a requirement. If you are unable to fit research into your schedule during the academic year, taking a summer off to focus on research is a great idea. Additionally, you can also try to find research opportunities during the school year that may be more flexible and accommodating to your schedule. As for your work experience, it may not directly count as research experience, but it can still be valuable in demonstrating your skills and abilities, so be sure to highlight it in your application.

I also highly recommend reaching out to professors or advisors at your university for guidance and support. They can provide valuable insights and advice on how to make the most of your undergraduate experience and prepare for graduate school.

I wish you all the best in your academic journey and hope that you find success in your pursuit of graduate studies. Don't hesitate to reach out for any further assistance.

1. What is the purpose of a graduate school application?

The purpose of a graduate school application is to provide a comprehensive overview of your academic and professional background, as well as your goals and motivations for pursuing further education. It allows the admissions committee to assess your potential for success in their program and make decisions about who to admit.

2. What materials are typically required for a graduate school application?

Materials required for a graduate school application may vary depending on the program and institution, but commonly include transcripts, letters of recommendation, a personal statement or essay, and standardized test scores (such as the GRE or GMAT). Some programs may also require a resume, writing samples, or a portfolio.

3. When should I start preparing for my graduate school application?

It is recommended to start preparing for your graduate school application at least one year in advance. This will allow you enough time to research programs, take any required standardized tests, gather materials, and write a strong personal statement. Starting early also gives you time to address any potential issues or weaknesses in your application.

4. How important is my undergraduate GPA in the graduate school admissions process?

Your undergraduate GPA is an important factor in the graduate school admissions process, but it is not the only factor. Admissions committees also consider other aspects of your application, such as your personal statement, letters of recommendation, and relevant work or research experience. However, a strong GPA can demonstrate your academic abilities and potential for success in graduate studies.

5. How can I make my graduate school application stand out?

To make your graduate school application stand out, it is important to highlight your unique strengths and experiences. This can include relevant research, internships, volunteer work, or leadership roles. It is also important to tailor your personal statement and application materials to each specific program, showcasing your passion and fit for that particular program. Additionally, strong letters of recommendation and a well-written personal statement can also help your application stand out.