Finding Minimum Coefficient of (1+x)^n for k<=20

In summary, the author is trying to find the minimum coefficient of a function of x^n for n integer values of k. He is using a polynomial p(x) and trying to find the minimum x^i for each k. However, he gets an error and does not understand how to make it work.
76Ahmad
Hello every one, I wish i can some help in my mathematica programing.

I hane k <= 20, k is + integer.
n = 1/12(3(5 - 2Sqrt[6])^k)

what I need to do is for every value of n (comes from K ofcourse),

Print the minmum coefficient for (1 + x)^n

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
I tryed to do the following:

For[k = 0, k ≤ 20, k++,
For[n=1/12(3(5 - 2Sqrt[6])^k,n++
Print[Min[Coefficient[(1 + x)\)^n], x^i]], {i, 1, n}]]]

and i got nothing I know i did it wrong please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're missing a comma in the second line.

I add the comma, but still the same
not working

Not sure what you are trying to do, here.
The second For loop actually looks like a mix between a For and a Do.
But... with k integer, n is not integer at all. How can you use it as the final value of an integer iterator is beyond me.

For example:
k= 2 implies n = 0.0255...

According to the last {i,1,n}, the iterator i should vary between 1 and... 0.0255...
Nonsense. (at least to me)

Plus, the syntax is not right (parentheses do not match, no wonder since you are undecided between For and Do).

Try again, possibly explaining what you are trying to achieve.

By hand work out exactly what your result should be for k=1,k=2,k=3 and n=1,n=2,n=3.

Given those 3 or 9 values we might be able to guess how to write something that will give those values.

what I mean by my question is:

if I want to get a value of n which is depend on K, where k >= 0.
after that:::
these values of n is the power of some polynomial p(x) that I need to expand,
and get the minmum coefficient of x

I hope that can help

for example if n = 2k, and if i change the polynomial to (1+x^2)^n (1-x)^(2n)...
it well be like:

For[k=0,k>=0,K++,
?
?
Print[
Min[
Table[
Coefficient[
Expand[(1+x^2)^n (1-x)^(2n),x^i,{i,1,Floor[(n-1)/2]}]]]]]

this well work I think, except that I don't know how to right about n
the second line ?

ok, if n is an integer, albeit function of k, you can expand the polynomial in x in a finite number of terms. If n is non-integer you could still get a Taylor expansion around zero, for example, but I don't know how meaningful that could be.

As for your example, I doubt it would run since you seem to have closed all the brackets at the end of the line.
Try this
Code:
Table[
  n = 2k;
  Min[ CoefficientList[ Expand[(1 + x^n)^2 (1 - x)^(2 n)], x] ],
  {k, 1, 20}]

CoefficientList gives you a list of all the coefficients in the polynomial passed to it. I believe the Expand is not even necessary since it will be performed by coefficient list itself.
Be prepared to see a lot of negative values.

1. What is the purpose of finding the minimum coefficient of (1+x)^n?

The minimum coefficient of (1+x)^n is useful in various mathematical and statistical applications. It can help determine the lowest possible value of a function, the maximum number of combinations in a given set, and the minimum number of operations required to solve a problem.

2. How is the minimum coefficient of (1+x)^n calculated for a given value of n?

The minimum coefficient of (1+x)^n can be calculated using the binomial theorem, which states that the coefficient of the term with x^k in the expansion of (1+x)^n is equal to n choose k, denoted as nCk. For a given value of n, the minimum coefficient can be found by calculating nCk for all values of k from 0 to n and selecting the smallest value.

3. Can the minimum coefficient of (1+x)^n be negative?

No, the minimum coefficient of (1+x)^n cannot be negative. This is because the binomial coefficients (nCk) are always positive for non-negative values of n and k. Therefore, the minimum coefficient will always be a positive number.

4. Is there a limit to the value of n for which the minimum coefficient of (1+x)^n can be calculated?

No, there is no limit to the value of n for which the minimum coefficient of (1+x)^n can be calculated. However, as n increases, the number of calculations required to find the minimum coefficient also increases. Therefore, for practical purposes, it is recommended to limit the value of n to a reasonable range (e.g. n<=20).

5. How is the minimum coefficient of (1+x)^n used in real-world applications?

The minimum coefficient of (1+x)^n has various applications in mathematics, statistics, and computer science. It can be used to find the minimum number of trials required in a probability experiment, the minimum number of steps in a combinatorial problem, and the minimum number of computations in an algorithm. It is also used in optimization problems to find the lowest possible value of a function.