Find the Coefficient of Kinetic Friction

In summary, the conversation is about a homework question involving a sled being pulled with a horizontal force of 15 N along a level trail. An extra mass of 4.3 kg is added to the sled and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the sled and the trail needs to be calculated. The equations Fk = uk *N and F = ma are important in solving the problem. The conversation includes an attempt to solve using the sum of all forces equation and the realization that the original mass is needed to solve the problem. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to write two equations, one for before the 4.3 kg mass is added and one for after, in order to solve for the coefficient of kinetic friction.
firewareagle
I have this homework question: A sled is pulled with a horizontal force of 15 N along a level trail, and the acceleration is found to be 0.40 m/s2. An extra mass m = 4.3 kg is placed on the sled. If the same force is just barely able to keep the sled moving, what is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the sled and the trail?

Important equations:
Fk = uk *N
F = ma

Attempt to solve:
Sum of all forces = ma
sum of all forces = Fpull - Fk
Fpull - Fk = ma
Fpull - ma = Fk
Fpull - ma = uk *N
(Fpull - ma)/mg = uk

I'm unable to solve since I don't know what the original mass was, since it says 4.3 extra mass was added. Can someone help me out??

Physics news on Phys.org
the force and acceleration is given to you use those values to first calculate the mass. essentially your question is two parts the first part is to calculate the original mass using F=ma use that resulatant and add your new mass then calculate the kinetic friction

Last edited:
right I did that, but i still didn't get the right answer

that way the answer would be 0.0041

but the answer is actually 0.01

firewareagle said:
Fpull - Fk = ma
Write two equations: One for before the 4.3 kg mass is added and one for after. You'll have two equations and two unknowns.

I understand your confusion and I would be happy to help you solve this problem. To find the coefficient of kinetic friction, we need to use the equation Fk = uk *N, where Fk is the kinetic friction force, uk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, and N is the normal force.

In this problem, we are given the horizontal force of 15 N and the acceleration of 0.40 m/s2. We also know that the mass of the sled is 4.3 kg. However, we do not know the original mass of the sled. This is okay because we can use the equation F = ma to solve for the original mass.

F = ma
15 N = (m + 4.3 kg) * 0.40 m/s2
15 N = 0.40m + 1.72 kgm/s2
14.28 N = 0.40m
m = 35.7 kg

Now that we have the original mass, we can use it to find the normal force, N. We know that the normal force is equal to the weight of the sled, which is mg. Therefore, N = (35.7 kg + 4.3 kg) * 9.8 m/s2 = 392.6 N.

Now, we can use the equation Fpull - Fk = uk *N to solve for the coefficient of kinetic friction.

Fpull - Fk = uk *N
15 N - Fk = uk * 392.6 N
Fk = 15 N - uk * 392.6 N

We also know that when the sled is just barely able to move, the friction force is equal to the pulling force. Therefore, we can set Fk equal to 15 N and solve for uk.

15 N = 15 N - uk * 392.6 N
uk = 0.04

Therefore, the coefficient of kinetic friction between the sled and the trail is 0.04. I hope this helps you understand how to approach this type of problem. Remember to always use the correct equations and units when solving for a specific variable. Good luck with your homework!

What is coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact when one is in motion. It is represented by the symbol "μ" and is unitless.

How is coefficient of kinetic friction calculated?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be calculated by dividing the force of kinetic friction by the normal force between the two surfaces. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the force required to keep an object in motion at a constant velocity.

What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is affected by the nature of the two surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants or other substances between them. It also depends on the normal force and the relative velocity between the surfaces.

Why is coefficient of kinetic friction important?

Coefficient of kinetic friction is important because it helps us understand and predict the amount of force required to keep an object in motion on a surface. It is also essential in engineering and design, as it affects the movement and stability of objects on different surfaces.

Can coefficient of kinetic friction be greater than 1?

Yes, in some cases the coefficient of kinetic friction can be greater than 1. This typically occurs when the two surfaces in contact are not well-matched and the frictional force is significantly higher than the normal force between them. In these cases, the object may experience a greater resistance to motion.