Maximum power when torque is 0 and angular velocity is 0

In summary, the homework statement is asking for the power at the axis intersections so that when there is no moment opposing the motor and when there is no angular velocity, the drill is stationary. However, the equation for power is P=T*ω ertance, so when either one is zero, the answer is zero.
Ortix

Homework Statement

What is the power the drill can supply at the two points of interest(The intersections at the axis')

This is a direct translation of the dutch problem. So basically what's going on is we made measurements of the RPM and angular displacement of our mechanical system (irrelevant at this point) We then converted all the points (correctly) into angular velocity (the RPM points) and the angular displacement to axial torque applied. We then used a scatter plot to plot these points (as per instruction) and found an equation for the linear regression (all using MATLAB)

So it boils down to the fact that I have an equation like this:
y= 0.15781x + 155.11

Where y is axial torque as a function of angular velocity.

So to come back to my first point; they are asking for the power at the axis intersections so when there is no moment opposing the motor (maximum angular velocity) and when there is no angular velocity (so maximum moment -> drill stationary)

But how can this even be right? The equation for power is P = T*ω

So when either one is zero the answer is zero but this can't be right can it?

I hope I have explain it thoroughly enough...

Physics news on Phys.org
bamp?

P=T*w
when w is close to zero, T will be high since P is roughly constant.

Yes but the problem states we have to find the power at both T and w when they are close to 0. How should I got about doing this? This (first post) is all the information available

Ignore my earlier post; I wasn't paying attention.

y= 0.15781x + 155.11

When x=0, you can calculate the maximum torque. Since it's not turning, it's doing no work, and because power is rate of doing work, so power=0. :smile:

That's what I thought but it can't be THAT easy can it? But I guess it's some sort of a trick question because there are no maxima in a linear equation (which we were supposed to find) so 0 it is!

1. What is the meaning of "Maximum power when torque is 0 and angular velocity is 0"?

This phrase refers to the point at which the torque applied to an object is zero and the object is not moving. At this point, the power output of the object is at its maximum.

2. How is maximum power calculated when torque is 0 and angular velocity is 0?

Maximum power is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by its linear velocity when torque is 0 and angular velocity is 0. This is due to the fact that at this point, there is no rotational motion and the object is only moving in a straight line.

3. Why is maximum power achieved when torque is 0 and angular velocity is 0?

When torque is 0 and angular velocity is 0, the object is not rotating and all of the force applied is being converted into linear motion. This results in the maximum output of power from the object.

4. How does maximum power at torque 0 and angular velocity 0 relate to the concept of work?

Maximum power at torque 0 and angular velocity 0 is directly related to the concept of work. Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance over which the force is applied. When torque is 0 and angular velocity is 0, all of the force is being applied in the direction of motion, resulting in maximum work and therefore maximum power.

5. Can maximum power be achieved at any other combination of torque and angular velocity?

No, maximum power can only be achieved when torque is 0 and angular velocity is 0. This is because at any other combination, some of the force applied is being used to create rotational motion instead of linear motion, resulting in a lower power output.