Exponential function with 3 parameters?

In summary, the researcher suggests that the population, P, at time t can be modeled by:P(t) = 561(1.02)^x where K, L and M are parameters. The table of population has the years 1950, 1955, 1960, 1965, 1970, 1975, 1980, 1985, 1990, 1995. The first part of the assignment asked to derive my own model, which I have done and it turned out to be exponential.
zeion
Exponential function with 3 parameters??

Homework Statement

A researcher suggests that the population, P, at time t can be modeled by

P(t) = K / (1 + Le^(-Mt)), where K, L and M are parameters.

Use technology to estimate and interpret K, L,and M. Construct the researcher's model using your estimates.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

There is a value table given, but I'm not sure how to use it to find the parameters.
The first part asked to derive my own model, which I have done, it turned out to be

P(t) = 561(1.02)^x

Physics news on Phys.org

zeion said:
There is a value table given, but I'm not sure how to use it to find the parameters.
The first part asked to derive my own model, which I have done, it turned out to be

P(t) = 561(1.02)^x
This doesn't look right. For one, what you have is an exponential model, and what you wrote earlier:
zeion said:
A researcher suggests that the population, P, at time t can be modeled by

P(t) = K / (1 + Le^(-Mt)), where K, L and M are parameters.
... suggests that you need a logistic model. They are 2 different things.

Even though you state that you can use technology, I'd like to see the table of values. If you have a TI-83/84, you can perform a logistic regression easy enough to find K, L, and M. (On the TI-83/84, they will correspond to the values of a, b, and c, I think.)

Sorry,

I did not type out the whole assignment.

The table of population:

Year: 1950, 1955, 1960, 1965, 1970, 1975, 1980, 1985, 1990, 1995
Population in Millions: 554.6, 609.0, 657.5, 729.2, 830.7, 927.8, 998.9, 1070.0, 1155.3, 1220.5

The first part, in essence: What types of functions could model the behavior of the graph? Analytically develop one model function that fits the data points on your graph.

I made an exponential model by taking the average of the multiplier of P(t) (and constant Δt 5 years.) that fitted the data points.

How would I find the three parameters using a TI-83/84?
And what do each of them mean?

Thanks.

zeion said:
How would I find the three parameters using a TI-83/84?
And what do each of them mean?
You would hit (STAT) -> 1:Edit to input the data into L1 and L2.
Then hit (STAT) -> (CALC) -> B:Logistic -> (ENTER) -> (ENTER)
(You may have to hit the (ENTER) key more than twice.)

Look up "maximum sustainable population," "limit to growth," or "fixed capacity" to see what K is. I don't recall if there are any special names for the other parameters.

Okay thanks for your replies.

What is an exponential function with 3 parameters?

An exponential function with 3 parameters is a type of mathematical function that models growth or decay over time. It is written in the form f(x) = ab^x + c, where a, b, and c are the parameters.

What are the three parameters in an exponential function?

The three parameters in an exponential function are a, b, and c. A represents the initial value, b represents the rate of growth or decay, and c represents any additional constant added or subtracted from the function.

What is the difference between an exponential function with 2 parameters and 3 parameters?

An exponential function with 2 parameters, f(x) = ab^x, only takes into account the initial value and the rate of growth or decay. An exponential function with 3 parameters, f(x) = ab^x + c, also includes an additional constant that can shift the graph up or down.

How do you graph an exponential function with 3 parameters?

To graph an exponential function with 3 parameters, you can use a table of values or a graphing calculator. First, choose values for x and calculate the corresponding y values using the function. Then, plot these points on a coordinate plane and connect them with a smooth curve.

What are the real-life applications of exponential functions with 3 parameters?

Exponential functions with 3 parameters are commonly used in fields such as economics, biology, and physics to model population growth, interest rates, and radioactive decay. They can also be used to analyze data in fields such as finance and epidemiology.