How does electricity flow from power plants to our homes?

In summary, the flow of electrons from power plants to our homes is not a direct delivery of energy, but rather a continuous flow of current through a closed circuit. It is recommended to not focus on the concept of electrons and instead seek a basic understanding of electric circuits.
Sheldon()
Can someone explain me how the electrons flow from power plants to our homes when they change their directions all the time? I know that this is stupid question but i am confused for some simple staff. What a socket represent? I know that socket is like voltage generator,but current is all the time flowing in the wire behind the wall or standing still and when the device is attach to the socket its starting to flow?And one more thing, the other wire with the hot wire in the socket is neutral,this one is without polarity but when device is attach is there some polarity in this wire?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You have many questions. If you are serious, then you should take a course in basic electric circuits. There are many free ones online.

But to answer your first question, electrons are not like capsules of energy delivered to your house. In a closed circuit, current injected at one end flows through the entire circuit and returns to the source immediately. The remote power plant causes the currents in your home circuits to flow without ever sending an electron your way.

In fact, it is better for you to forget that you ever heard the word electron. It will only confuse you, not help.

What is the distribution of current?

The distribution of current refers to the flow of electrical charge through a circuit or medium. It is the movement of electrons from one point to another, and can be measured in amperes (A).

How is current distributed in a circuit?

Current is distributed evenly throughout a series circuit, meaning that the same amount of current flows through each component. In a parallel circuit, the total current is divided between different branches based on their resistance.

What factors affect the distribution of current?

The resistance of a material, the voltage applied, and the length and cross-sectional area of the conductor all affect the distribution of current. Higher resistance or longer length will result in less current flow, while higher voltage or larger cross-sectional area will result in more current flow.

What is Kirchhoff's Current Law and how does it relate to current distribution?

Kirchhoff's Current Law states that the total current entering a junction in a circuit must equal the total current leaving the junction. This law is related to current distribution because it ensures that the same amount of current flows through each component in a series circuit.

How does the distribution of current affect voltage and power?

According to Ohm's Law, voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). This means that as the current distribution changes, the voltage across components will also change. Additionally, power (P) is equal to current (I) multiplied by voltage (V), so changes in current distribution can also affect the power consumption of a circuit.