What is the value of x in the equation 51^(-51)≡ x (mod 8)?

• Thread starter limitkiller
  • Start date
In summary, 51^(-51) \equiv x (mod 8) does not have any meaning since modular arithmetic is only defined for integers. However, the inverse of a number in modular arithmetic can be found by multiplying the number by itself modulo 8. According to Euler's theorem, 51^{-51} is equivalent to 51^1 (mod 8). Similarly, \sqrt{17} \equiv x (mod 3) does not have a meaning, but \sqrt{18}\equiv x (mod 3) and \sqrt{19}\equiv x (mod 3) do, since they reduce to x^2 \equiv 0 (mod 3) and x^
limitkiller
51^(-51)[itex] \equiv x (mod 8)[/itex] .
Does it mean anything at all?
If it does what is x?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

I doubt it means anything with a negative exponent of an integer.

Thanks.

limitkiller said:
51^(-51)[itex] \equiv x (mod 8)[/itex] .
Does it mean anything at all?
If it does what is x?

Hi limitkiller! :smile:Yes, it does have meaning.
The inverse of a number in modular arithmetic is the number by which you must multiply to get 1 modulo 8.

So for instance:
$$3^{-1} \equiv 3 \pmod 8$$
This is true since ##3 \cdot 3 \equiv 9 \equiv 1 \pmod 8##.Furthermore, according to Euler's theorem (skipping a few steps here) we have:
$$51^{-51} \equiv 51^{-51 \mod \phi(8)} \equiv 51^{-51 \mod 4} \equiv 51^1 \pmod 8$$So what do you think x is?

Infinitum said:
Modular arithmetic is defined only for integers. So your expression doesn't give any meaning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_arithmetic

Of course it has a meaning: modulo 8, we have that [itex]\,3^{-1}=\frac{1}{3}=3\,[/itex] , since [itex]\,3\cdot 3=1\pmod 8[/itex] , so doing

arithmetic modulo 8 all the way in the following we get:[tex]51=3\pmod 8\Longrightarrow 51^{-51}=\left(3^2\right)^{25}\cdot 3=1\cdot 3 = 3[/tex]

DonAntonio

DonAntonio said:
Of course it has a meaning: modulo 8, we have that [itex]\,3^{-1}=\frac{1}{3}=3\,[/itex] , since [itex]\,3\cdot 3=1\pmod 8[/itex] , so doing

arithmetic modulo 8 all the way in the following we get:[tex]51=3\pmod 8\Longrightarrow 51^{-51}=\left(3^2\right)^{25}\cdot 3=1\cdot 3 = 3[/tex]

DonAntonio

Interesting. The number theory manual I used specifically defined it only for integers, and denied its existence for rational numbers.

So, does [itex]\sqrt{17} \equiv x (mod3)[/itex] mean something too?

Edit : Changed numbers.

DonAntonio said:

DonAntonio
I think you dropped a minus sign in the middle there, but since [itex]3^{-1}\equiv3 (mod 8)[/itex] the answer is right.

haruspex said:
I think you dropped a minus sign in the middle there, but since [itex]3^{-1}\equiv3 (mod 8)[/itex] the answer is right.

The first line already explained why [itex]\,3^{-1}=3\pmod 8[/itex]...

DonAntonio

Infinitum said:
Interesting. The number theory manual I used specifically defined it only for integers, and denied its existence for rational numbers.

Sure: [itex]\,x\equiv\sqrt{17}\pmod 3\Longleftrightarrow x^2\equiv 17\pmod 3[/itex] , and since [itex]\,17\equiv 2\pmod 3[/itex] , we

get the equation [itex]\,x^2=2\pmod 3\,[/itex], which has no solution in the prime field of integer residues modulo [itex]\,3[/itex].

And your number theory manual is right: the modulo arithmetic is defined for integers, but its algebraic structure is rich when a prime is

involved and thus we have a field, where we can divide by non-zero elements and etc.

DonAntonio

Last edited:

I see. Thanks for the reply. :smile:

Infinitum said:
Nobody said anything about "rational numbers". if a and n are integers, then a-1 (mod n) is an integer.

If it exists, yes. First 17= 3(5)+ 2 so [itex]17\equiv 2[/itex] (mod 3) and the equation reduces to [itex]\sqrt{2}\equiv x[/itex]. That is, we must have [itex]x^2= 3k+ 2[/itex] for some k. Further, since only 0, 1, and 2 are in the set of integers modulo 3, we need only note that 0(0)= 0, 1(1)= 1, and 2(2)= 4= 1 (mod 3) so that while [itex]x^2\equiv 0[/itex] and [itex]x^2\equiv 1[/itex] have solution modulo 3, [itex]x^2\equiv 2[/itex] does not. That is, [itex]\sqrt{17}\equiv x (mod 3)[/itex] does NOT have a meaning but [itex]\sqrt{18}\equiv x (mod 3)[/itex] does have meaning (18= 6(3)+ 0 so 18 is equivalent to 0 and x= 0 (mod 3) is a solution) and [itex]\sqrt{19}\equiv x (mod 3)[/itex] also has meaning (19= 6(3)+ 1 so 19 is equivalent to 1 and x= 1 and x= 2 (mod 3) are both solutions).

HallsofIvy said:
Nobody said anything about "rational numbers". if a and n are integers, then a-1 (mod n) is an integer.

I saw the OP's question that stated [itex]51^{-51}[/itex], which is rational and not of the form a-1... Though I must admit, I was prejudicial.
If it exists, yes. First 17= 3(5)+ 2 so [itex]17\equiv 2[/itex] (mod 3) and the equation reduces to [itex]\sqrt{2}\equiv x[/itex]. That is, we must have [itex]x^2= 3k+ 2[/itex] for some k. Further, since only 0, 1, and 2 are in the set of integers modulo 3, we need only note that 0(0)= 0, 1(1)= 1, and 2(2)= 4= 1 (mod 3) so that while [itex]x^2\equiv 0[/itex] and [itex]x^2\equiv 1[/itex] have solution modulo 3, [itex]x^2\equiv 2[/itex] does not. That is, [itex]\sqrt{17}\equiv x (mod 3)[/itex] does NOT have a meaning but [itex]\sqrt{18}\equiv x (mod 3)[/itex] does have meaning (18= 6(3)+ 0 so 18 is equivalent to 0 and x= 0 (mod 3) is a solution) and [itex]\sqrt{19}\equiv x (mod 3)[/itex] also has meaning (19= 6(3)+ 1 so 19 is equivalent to 1 and x= 1 and x= 2 (mod 3) are both solutions).

This explanation was solid, thanks a lot, HallsofIvy.

This led me wonder whether there is a modulo for complex numbers, too. Say,

[tex]\sqrt{17i} \equiv x(mod 3)[/tex]

Which reduces to,

[tex]\sqrt{2i} = x[/tex]

So, we would have,
[tex]x^2 = 3k - 2 = 3(k-1) + 3 - 2 = 3n + 1[/tex]

And hence x is equal to 1 or 2 (mod 3) are the solutions.

Is this correct?

Oops, I included i(iota) in the square root by mistake. Can't edit it now, though.

Infinitum said:
I saw the OP's question that stated [itex]51^{-51}[/itex], which is rational and not of the form a-1... Though I must admit, I was prejudicial.
No, [itex]51^{-51}= (51^{-1})^{51}[/itex] which will be an integer (or equivalence class of integers depending upon how you define "modulo")

This led me wonder whether there is a modulo for complex numbers, too. Say,

[tex]\sqrt{17}i \equiv x(mod 3)[/tex]

Which reduces to,

[tex]\sqrt{2}i = x[/tex]

So, we would have,
[tex]x^2 = 3k - 2 = 3(k-1) + 3 - 2 = 3n + 1[/tex]

And hence x is equal to 1 or 2 (mod 3) are the solutions.

Is this correct?
Yes, assuming you simply extend the standard definition to include complex remainders.

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, assuming you simply extend the standard definition to include complex remainders.

Aye. Thank you.

1. If it does what is x?

X is a variable that can represent anything from a concept to a physical object. It is used to describe the specific action or function that the subject being discussed is capable of performing.

2. How do you determine if something does x?

Determining if something does x involves conducting experiments and collecting data to analyze the results. This process allows scientists to observe and measure the actions or functions of the subject and determine if it aligns with the definition of x.

3. What are some examples of x?

X can vary greatly depending on the specific subject being studied. Some examples of x could include the ability to conduct electricity, the ability to produce a specific chemical compound, or the ability to perform a specific behavior.

4. Can something do x and not y?

Yes, it is possible for something to do x and not y. Each action or function is unique and can vary independently from other actions or functions. For example, an object may have the ability to conduct electricity (x) but not be able to produce a specific chemical compound (y).

5. How does x affect the subject?

The effects of x on a subject can vary depending on the specific action or function being performed. Some actions may have a positive effect, while others may have a negative effect. Additionally, the effects of x may also depend on other factors such as the subject's environment or other variables at play.