Transfinite Induction: Understanding & Examples

In summary, transfinite induction is equivalent to usual induction on the ordinal number ω. However, there may be cases where these two forms of induction do not coincide. This is because transfinite induction involves a limit case to account for limit ordinals, while ordinary induction only allows for proofs over ω. This difference is important in cases where the statement being proved is not true for all ordinals, as transfinite induction takes this into account. Additionally, transfinite induction is equivalent to classical induction over ω, as there are no limit ordinals smaller than ω. Overall, transfinite induction is similar to strong induction, but instead of only considering whole numbers, it can be applied to any ordinal.
Hjensen
I'm a bit confused on the subject of transfinite induction. I've read that it is equivalent to usual induction on the ordinal number ω (presumably a proof of this can be found in a standard book on the subject - any suggestions?)

Does anyone have an example of a case in which this isn't true? In other words where these two forms of induction do not coincide? I can't seem to think of one myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps I should clarify a few things. By ω I mean the least infinite ordinal, which is identified with [itex]\aleph_0[/itex].

The idea I have of the two notions being different relies on intuition only. If anyone has a concrete example, you would make my day. Especially if you could include a reference to a proof of the fact that transfinite induction is equivalent to regular induction on the ordinal ω

Transfinite induction allows you to use induction proofs over ordinals greater than [itex]\omega[/itex], ordinary induction only allows you to prove things over [itex]\omega[/itex]. The key difference is that transfinite induction involves a limit case to take into account limit ordinals i.e. if the property holds for every ordinal before the limit ordinal then it must be shown that it also holds for limit ordinal.

To see why this is important consider the statement 'every ordinal greater than 0 is a successor to some unique ordinal'. This is true for ordinals less than [itex]\omega[/itex], but is not true in general, e.g. for [itex]\omega[/itex] itself. However, the successor step in an induction proof will be trivially true, so to avoid 'proving' untrue things you need a limit step too for ordinals larger than [itex]\omega[/itex].

Transfinite induction is trivially equivalent to classical induction over [itex]\omega[/itex] as there are no limit ordinals smaller than [itex]\omega[/itex].

Last edited:
Transfinite induction is very close in spirit to that of strong induction. You assume that a statement ##P(x)## is true for every ##x<a##, and then show it's true for ##x=a##. In typical induction, you are only concerned with the whole numbers, though in transfinite induction you instead look over any other ordinal. The basic mechanics of the approach is the same.

Transfinite induction is a powerful mathematical tool that allows us to prove statements about infinitely large sets. It is based on the concept of ordinal numbers, which are a way of ordering different sizes of infinity.

The idea behind transfinite induction is similar to regular mathematical induction, where we prove a statement for all natural numbers by showing that it holds for the first number (usually 0 or 1) and then assuming it holds for a general number and showing that it also holds for the next number. However, with transfinite induction, we are dealing with infinite sets, so instead of just showing that the statement holds for the next number, we have to show that it holds for the next infinite size.

One example of transfinite induction is proving that every countable set (a set with the same size as the set of natural numbers) has a well-ordering, meaning that its elements can be arranged in a specific order. This can be done by using transfinite induction on the ordinal number ω, which represents the size of the set of natural numbers.

To answer your question about when transfinite induction may not coincide with regular induction, it is important to note that transfinite induction only works for well-ordered sets. If a set is not well-ordered, then regular induction may not be equivalent to transfinite induction. An example of this is trying to prove that every set has a well-ordering using transfinite induction on the ordinal number ω+1, which represents the size of the set of natural numbers plus one additional element. This would not work because the set of natural numbers plus one additional element is not well-ordered, so regular induction is not equivalent to transfinite induction in this case.

I would recommend further exploring the concept of transfinite induction in a book on set theory or mathematical logic. Some suggestions include "Set Theory: An Introduction to Independence Proofs" by Kenneth Kunen and "Mathematical Logic" by Joseph R. Shoenfield. I hope this helps clarify the concept of transfinite induction for you.

1. What is transfinite induction?

Transfinite induction is a mathematical proof technique that is used to show the truth or validity of statements about infinite sets. It is based on the principle that if a statement is true for all smaller elements of an infinite set, then it must also be true for the whole set.

2. How does transfinite induction differ from regular mathematical induction?

Regular mathematical induction is used to prove statements about finite sets, while transfinite induction is used for infinite sets. In regular induction, the statement must be shown to be true for the first element of the set and then for the next element assuming it is true for the previous one. In transfinite induction, the statement must be shown to be true for all smaller elements of the set, including the limit of the set.

3. What are some examples of transfinite induction?

One example of transfinite induction is proving that the cardinality (size) of the set of natural numbers is equal to the cardinality of the set of even numbers. Another example is showing that every natural number has a successor, even though there is no largest natural number.

4. What are the limitations of transfinite induction?

Transfinite induction is a powerful proof technique, but it can only be used for well-ordered sets. This means that the elements of the set must be able to be arranged in a specific order, and there must be a smallest element in the set. Transfinite induction also cannot be used for non-constructive proofs, where the existence of an element is proved without explicitly constructing it.

5. How is transfinite induction used in other areas of science?

Transfinite induction is primarily used in mathematics, but it has also been applied in computer science and theoretical physics. In computer science, it is used to develop algorithms for solving problems with infinite inputs. In theoretical physics, it is used to explain the behavior of systems with infinite degrees of freedom, such as infinite-dimensional vector spaces.