Can You Prove the Inequality in Triangles with Arbitrary Points?

In summary: I don't have a specific solution in mind, but if I were to approach the problem, I think I would start by trying to find the max of each distance function.
James4
Hi

Given is a triangle on points x,y,z in the plane. This triangle has two points a and b on opposite sides (see Figure).
I would like to show that the following inequality has to hold:

\max {d(b,x), d(b,y), d(b,z)} +
\max {d(a,x), d(a,y), d(a,z)} - d(b,a)
> \min {d(x,y), d(x,z), d(y,z)}

where d(u,v) denotes the euclidean distance between u and v.
I actually expect the above statement to be true even if a and b are two arbitrary points outside of the triangle.

Does anybody have an idea how to approach this?

Attachments

• bsp.png
    bsp.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi chiro

Thanks, for your answer.
Yes I have considered this, but I don't think that they immediately apply to the problem.

Last edited:
Can you consider using the inequality to get the maximum of each distance function? (Think about the triangle with vertices x,y,z and apply the inequality to the arbitrary point b).

Hi

I am not sure if I understand what you mean by "get the maximum of each distance function".
Do you mean distinguishing the cases when xy, xz or yz are is the largest side?

You have a max(d(x,b),d(y,b),d(z,b)) and I was referring to that specific function itself.

thanks, but how do you know which side is the largest? For example in the triangle y,b,x, any side can be largest, depending on the angles in the original triangle.
So I don't see which bounds you would obtain.

Btw: Do you have a solution in mind and you want to guide me there or are you also thinking about how to solve this problem? Because I don't think it is trivial.

I'm just bouncing ideas off you to help you solve your own problem: I didn't intend to solve the whole thing completely for you.

1. What is inequality in triangles?

Inequality in triangles refers to the relationship between the sides and angles of a triangle. It states that in a triangle, the sum of any two sides must be greater than the third side. This is known as the Triangle Inequality Theorem.

2. How is inequality in triangles used in geometry?

Inequality in triangles is an important concept in geometry as it helps determine if a given set of side lengths can form a valid triangle. It also helps in proving the properties of triangles, such as the exterior angle theorem and the relationship between the sides and angles in similar triangles.

3. What are the different types of inequalities in triangles?

There are three types of inequalities in triangles: acute, obtuse, and right. In an acute triangle, all angles are less than 90 degrees. In an obtuse triangle, one angle is greater than 90 degrees. In a right triangle, one angle is exactly 90 degrees.

4. How can you prove inequalities in triangles?

There are several ways to prove inequalities in triangles, such as using the Triangle Inequality Theorem, the Converse of the Triangle Inequality Theorem, and the Pythagorean Theorem. These theorems can be used to show that the sum of any two sides of a triangle is always greater than the third side.

5. How does inequality in triangles relate to real-life situations?

Inequality in triangles has real-life applications in various fields, such as architecture, engineering, and navigation. It helps in determining the stability and strength of structures, calculating distances and angles, and creating accurate maps and diagrams.