Sufficient condition for global flatness

In summary, a sufficient condition for globally vanishing curvature, or global flatness, in a compact, orientable, n-dimensional Riemann manifold is that the Levi-Civita connection is flat and the global holonomy group is finite. This means that the manifold is a quotient of a flat torus by a properly discontinuous action of a finite group of isometries, and all of its homotopy groups are zero except for its fundamental group.
tom.stoer
Science Advisor
given a compact, orientable, n-dim. Riemann manifold, what is a sufficient condition for globally vanishing curvature i.e. global flatness?

I can get necessary conditions from the generalized Gauss-Bonnet theorem, but not sufficient ones

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
tom.stoer said:
given a compact, orientable, n-dim. Riemann manifold, what is a sufficient condition for globally vanishing curvature i.e. global flatness?

I can get necessary conditions from the generalized Gauss-Bonnet theorem, but not sufficient ones

thanks in advance
I think that a Levi-Civita connection is flat if and only if paralllel translation around null homotopic loops is the identity map. I think one can show that this means that the global holonomy group is finite. In any case, it is true that if the Riemannian connection is flat then the holonomy group is finite.

For instance the flat Klein bottle has holonomy group equal to Z/2Z and the flat torus has trivial holonomy group. One can easily generalize the Klein bottle to make an orientable three manifold whose holonomy group is Z/2Z.

I also think that you should be able to show that the exponential map is a covering of the manifold by Euclidean space and is a local isometry. It you find a proof let me know. The necessary condition that the Gauss Bonnet form is zero is only part of the story. All of the Pontryagin forms are also zero. However, the Stiefel-Whitney classes may not be zero as in the case of the Klein bottle. I will try to construct a flat 4 manifold that has non-zero second Stiefel_Whitney class.

BTW: If the connection is not compatible with any Riemannain metric then it may be flat and still have non-zero Euler class. In such a case, the Euler class can not be expressed in term of the curvature 2 form,

Last edited:
If your space is geodesically complete, then it must be a space form:
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_form

In other words, the space must be Euclidean modulo a crystallographic group of isometries.

Spaces that are not geodesically complete are open subsets of geodesically complete spaces?? I think this is true, but I can't recall the proof. See the Hopf Rinow theorem.

Vargo said:
If your space is geodesically complete, then it must be a space form:
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_form

In other words, the space must be Euclidean modulo a crystallographic group of isometries.

The fundamental group must be an extension of a full lattice by a finite group. It must be torsion free and the action of the finite group on the lattice(under conjugation) is a faithful Z-representation of the finite group. The finite group is isomorphic to the holonomy group of the manifold.

Another way of saying this is that the manifold is the quotient of a flat torus by a properly discontinuous action of a finite group of isometries.

This means that the manifold is a K(π,1), that is all of its homotopy groups are zero except its fundamental group.

This is great, thanks; I have to invest some time to understand the reasoning and proof behind the space form, but the result is clear and simple

tom.stoer said:
This is great, thanks; I have to invest some time to understand the reasoning and proof behind the space form, but the result is clear and simple

- Zero holonomy for null homotopic loops should be the easiest.

- It is clear that the exponential map can have no singularities since there are no conjugate points. But this would also be true for manifolds of negative curvature.

- A properly discontinuous finite group of isometries on a flat torus clearly makes a flat manifold and the fundamental group is an extension the the lattice of covering transformations of the torus. If any of the isometries is a pure translation I suppose you can just mod out by them first to get another flat torus and then you are left with a finite group that acts non-trivially on the torus's tangent plane. The group of isometries of Euclidean space that covers this manifold is clearly torsion free.

Last edited:

1. What is a sufficient condition for global flatness?

A sufficient condition for global flatness is that the Gaussian curvature of a surface is equal to zero at every point on the surface.

2. How does the Gaussian curvature relate to global flatness?

The Gaussian curvature is a measure of the curvature of a surface at a specific point. When the Gaussian curvature is equal to zero at every point on a surface, it indicates that the surface is flat.

3. Can a surface have a Gaussian curvature of zero at some points but not be globally flat?

Yes, a surface can have regions with a Gaussian curvature of zero but still be globally curved. This is because the Gaussian curvature is a local measure and does not take into account the overall shape of the surface.

4. What are some examples of surfaces with a Gaussian curvature of zero?

Some examples of surfaces with a Gaussian curvature of zero include planes, cylinders, and cones. These surfaces are considered to be globally flat.

5. Are there any other conditions that must be met for a surface to be globally flat?

Yes, in addition to having a Gaussian curvature of zero at every point, a surface must also have a constant mean curvature in order to be globally flat. This means that the average curvature at any point on the surface must be equal to zero.