Clebsch-Gordan coeffs, special cases

In summary, the conversation is about deriving the expression for coefficients without using the general CGC formula. The person mentions the J=0 case and is wondering how to find the coefficient involving the term (-1)^{j_1- m_1}. They mention reading about using spinors but are looking for a simpler approach. The other person explains that j_1 and m_1 are integers and the (-1)^{j_1- m_1} term depends on their parity. The first person thanks them for the reply and asks for more information on where this term comes from intuitively.
Jesssa
Hello,

I'm not sure whether I should have posted this in main Quantum mechanics thread because it's not really regarding homework, but I posted it in here just to be safe.

I was wondering, is there a way to derive the expression for these coefficients without the use of the general CGC formula?

For example, the J=0 case (this is taken from wikipedia)

65a3e02b0a4b4e80f8d539efb5c908aa.png

The 1/sqrt term is clear but the (-1)^.. term not so much, is there a way to find this coefficient?

I have read it requires the use of spinors and so on but I was wondering if there was a more simple way?

I found only a derivation of the CGC using only binomial expansions, but it was difficult to see exactly how they saw the starting point, it seemed like it must have been educated guesses until worked.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps I am misreading this, since you mention spinors, but aren't [itex]j_1[/itex] and [itex]m_1[/itex] simply integers? If so then [itex](-1)^{j_1- m_2)[/itex] is +1 if [iterx]j_1[/itex] and [itex]m_1[/itex] have the same parity (both even or both odd) and +1 if they have different parity.

Thanks for replying HallsofIvy,

I understand what you have posted, but do you know how you get the (-1)^{j_1- m_1} term in the expression? I know, if you consider the formula it comes from the Wigner 3-j but I'm interested in finding out where it comes from (intuitively, if it is possible).

When I first saw the state, intuitively I saw the normalization factor 1/sqrt.. but I didn't expect/understand where the (-1)^{j_1- m_1} was coming from.

What are Clebsch-Gordan coefficients?

Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are mathematical constants that are used in quantum mechanics to describe the coupling of two angular momenta.

Why are Clebsch-Gordan coefficients important?

Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are important because they provide a way to calculate the probability amplitudes for quantum mechanical processes involving the combination of two angular momenta.

What are some special cases of Clebsch-Gordan coefficients?

Some special cases of Clebsch-Gordan coefficients include the addition of two spin-1/2 particles, the addition of a spin-1/2 particle and a spin-1 particle, and the addition of two spin-1 particles.

How are Clebsch-Gordan coefficients calculated?

Clebsch-Gordan coefficients can be calculated using the Wigner-Eckart theorem, which relates them to the matrix elements of angular momentum operators.

What is the physical significance of Clebsch-Gordan coefficients?

The physical significance of Clebsch-Gordan coefficients lies in their ability to predict the possible outcomes of quantum mechanical processes involving the combination of angular momenta. They provide a fundamental understanding of the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.