Experiment about Discharging Batteries

In summary, the author is doing an experiment to monitor the battery's true emf while discharging it at a constant current, and they mention that the early measurements could be used to work out the internal resistance and open-circuit voltage. However, the internal resistance may change during discharge, so it would be important to take the data with the battery loaded. Additionally, the author suggests experimentally switching the circuit between various states of discharge to see if there is an effect on the discharge curve.
johnsmith12345
Right now I'm doing an experiment for my EE about battery capacity. How would I be able to monitor the battery's true emf while discharging the battery at a constant current?

Also, when I connect the battery in a circuit and discharge it at a constant current, I notice that the voltage across the battery decreases. Since I am discharging at a constant current, will this difference in voltage from when its in a circuit and the true emf be constant?

Engineering news on Phys.org
johnsmith12345 said:
How would I be able to monitor the battery's true emf while discharging the battery at a constant current?
Connect a voltmeter?
Also, when I connect the battery in a circuit and discharge it at a constant current, I notice that the voltage across the battery decreases.
Right.
Since I am discharging at a constant current, will this difference in voltage from when its in a circuit and the true emf be constant?
Which difference? The measured voltage IS the true voltage the battery delivers at that current.

Also see:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=670059
OP feels that the "true" emf of the battery is the open-terminal voltage.
He wants to keep track of it for the discharge curve... most people seem happy just to use the terminal voltage on-load.

Hmm, well, can you interrupt the discharging process for the measurements?

That's what I thought - but doesn't the open circuit voltage for a battery take a bit to "relax" after the load is disconnected, like a hysteresis effect ... possibly altering the discharge curve? It would depend on the battery of course...

I also thought that the early measurements could be used to work out the internal resistance and, after that, the open-circuit voltage would just get calculated.
However, the internal resistance may change during discharge - it would certainly be affected by temperature.

If the load resistor was very large compared with the internal resistance, then the loaded voltage would be close to the open-circuit...

I would be surprised to see any effect on the scale of a human intervention (~1s), but that would be easy to test.

I was thinking that repeatedly switching the circuit may be different enough from a continuous discharge, over the entire discharge time, to affect the shape of the curve - but like you say: easy to test.

We don't know how accurate things are either... any effect could be small compared with the sensitivity of the instruments - especially seeing the battery in question is quite high tech.

@ johnsmith

That would be interesting to test. I never tried it with an exotic battery.
Published curves are with battery under load.

Tinkering with automobile batteries, indeed there is a time delay when you release the load. Voltage bounces back to 12.6 in about a minute.

I've seen car batteries that'd indicate 12.6 volts but were too run down to illuminate even the dome lamp.

So i think you should take your data with battery loaded.

Then experiment with the voltage 'bounce' when unloaded from various states of discharge.

What is the purpose of an experiment about discharging batteries?

The purpose of an experiment about discharging batteries is to study and understand the process of discharging batteries, which involves converting chemical energy into electrical energy. This experiment can also help determine the efficiency and performance of different types of batteries.

What materials are needed to conduct an experiment about discharging batteries?

The materials needed for this experiment include batteries (of different types and sizes), a voltmeter or multimeter, connecting wires, a resistor, and a timer or stopwatch. Optional materials may include a power supply and various electronic components for further testing.

What are the steps involved in conducting an experiment about discharging batteries?

The steps involved in conducting an experiment about discharging batteries may vary, but generally include setting up the materials, connecting the battery to the voltmeter and resistor, recording the initial voltage and time, and then recording the voltage at regular intervals until the battery is fully discharged. The data collected can then be analyzed and compared to draw conclusions.

What factors can affect the rate of discharge in a battery?

The rate of discharge in a battery can be affected by various factors such as the type and size of the battery, the age and condition of the battery, the resistance of the circuit, and the temperature. Different combinations of these factors can lead to different rates of discharge and affect the overall performance of the battery.

What are some potential applications of the results from an experiment about discharging batteries?

The results from an experiment about discharging batteries can have various applications, including improving battery technology and efficiency, creating more accurate battery life predictions, and understanding the behavior of different battery types in different conditions. This information can also be useful in designing and optimizing electronic devices that use batteries as a power source.