An experiment with air pressure.

In summary, the conversation discussed an experiment with a heated fan and a piece of paper placed behind it, which caused the fan to shut off due to reduced air flow and overheating. The fan has a thermal switch that needs time to cool down and reset before it can be turned back on. This is similar to hair dryers, which also have a thermal switch to prevent overheating. The heat must be dissipated in order for the fan to function properly.
jaydnul
Im at work and i have a heated fan by my side. I decided to do a small experiment with air pressure. I placed a piece of paper at the back of the fan to block in coming air and the whole fan shut off and wouldn't come back on for 5 minutes. What happened inside the fan that made it turn off? If it was a circuit breaker, wouldn't it just turn back on immediately after i removed the paper?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The reduced air flow caused the fan to over heat, and it has a thermal switch to protect it. It then takes some time for the switch to cool down and reset. Same think happens with hair dryers - we used them dry boots, and you had to fan a way that alloed enough air flow to prevent a shut off.

The heat has to be dissipated in order to keep everything working within the fan. So if you place the paper behind, it reduces the flow of air thus causing fan to over heat. So, you need some time for it to cool and to reset.

1. What is air pressure and how does it affect our surroundings?

Air pressure is the force exerted by the weight of air molecules in the Earth's atmosphere. It affects our surroundings by creating winds, determining weather patterns, and controlling the flow of fluids.

2. How can air pressure be measured in an experiment?

Air pressure can be measured using a device called a barometer. This instrument works by measuring the weight of a column of air above it and displaying the measurement in units such as millibars or inches of mercury.

3. What factors can affect air pressure in an experiment?

Temperature, altitude, and the amount of water vapor in the air are all factors that can affect air pressure. As temperature increases, air molecules move faster and spread out, resulting in lower air pressure. As altitude increases, the weight of the air above decreases, causing lower air pressure. And as the amount of water vapor in the air increases, it displaces some of the other air molecules, resulting in lower air pressure.

4. How can air pressure be manipulated in an experiment?

Air pressure can be manipulated in an experiment by changing the volume or temperature of a sealed container of air. For example, if the temperature is increased, the air molecules will move faster and spread out, resulting in lower air pressure inside the container.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding air pressure?

Understanding air pressure is important in fields such as meteorology, aviation, and scuba diving. It can also be applied in everyday situations, such as using a bicycle pump to inflate a tire or using a vacuum cleaner to remove dust from a carpet.