Free Body Diagram to find Force

In summary, a free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object and is used to analyze its motion and forces in a given situation. To draw one, identify the object and add arrows to represent the forces, labeling each with its magnitude and direction. The purpose of a free body diagram is to simplify and visualize the forces, helping to understand their effect on the object's motion and equilibrium. To find the net force, add or subtract the forces depending on their direction. Free body diagrams can be used for any type of motion, making them a useful tool for analyzing forces in various situations.
REM683
The attached image shows a diagram of the problem. I am trying to calculate the Compressive force in the piston (B). Would the methods shown work for finding the Comp Force?

Thanks

Attachments

• prob.png
    prob.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 701
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear to me how you are defining FA, Ax, Ay.

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object at a specific point in time. It is used to analyze the motion and forces of an object in a given situation.

2. How do I draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, start by identifying the object of interest and drawing it as a simple shape. Then, add arrows to represent all the forces acting on the object, making sure to label each force with its magnitude and direction.

3. What is the purpose of a free body diagram?

The purpose of a free body diagram is to simplify and visualize the forces acting on an object. It helps to identify all the forces at play and understand how they affect the motion and equilibrium of the object.

4. How do I use a free body diagram to find the net force?

To find the net force on an object using a free body diagram, simply add all the forces acting on the object in the same direction. If the forces are acting in opposite directions, subtract the smaller force from the larger one to find the net force.

5. Can a free body diagram be used for any type of motion?

Yes, a free body diagram can be used for any type of motion, including objects at rest, moving with constant velocity, or accelerating. It is a useful tool for analyzing the forces involved in any type of motion.