Selecting the Right Fuse Size for Compressors

In summary, when deciding what fuse sizes are needed for a Medical Air Compressor or any compressor, you need to consider the type of compressor (cooling units, refrigerators, blowing units), the brand and model of the compressor, and the application it is being used for. It is important to refer to the nameplate rating of the motor for steady state current and the startup surge current letter for proper fuse sizing. Additional information can also be found on the Physics Forums website in regards to interpreting these ratings.
Mika-Yugo
What do i have to take into consideration when deciding what fuze sizes are needed for the Medical Air Compressor, or generally any compressor.

Compressors; cooling units, refrigerators, blowing units (cooling systems).
Simply to say any compressor, any kind.

Example; a brand new compressor was installed with 3 fuses (3 phase) 40A, 600V. Fuse is burning. Replacing all 3 fuses with 60A fuses. Still most of the time 1 fuse is burning.

The Company that installed Air Compressor installed originally 40A fuses, than changed it to 60A. Now they say they don't know what to do.

Could someone try to lead me to the right direction. Thank you all, Mika

***** Tomorrow I might to provide you with more info, like name plate info

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is the purpose of a fuse in a compressor?

A fuse in a compressor is a safety device that protects the compressor's electrical circuit from overloading and potential damage. It is designed to break the circuit if the current exceeds a certain level, preventing overheating and potentially dangerous situations.

2. How do I determine the correct fuse size for my compressor?

The correct fuse size for a compressor can be determined by consulting the manufacturer's specifications and guidelines. Generally, the fuse size should be slightly higher than the compressor's maximum amperage rating to allow for startup surges and prevent the fuse from blowing unnecessarily.

3. What happens if I use a fuse with a higher amperage rating than recommended?

If a fuse with a higher amperage rating than recommended is used, it may not blow when the circuit is overloaded, potentially causing damage to the compressor or other electrical components. This can also pose a safety hazard as the larger fuse may not break the circuit in the event of a fault.

4. Can I use a fuse with a lower amperage rating than recommended for my compressor?

No, using a fuse with a lower amperage rating than recommended for a compressor can result in the fuse blowing frequently and potentially causing damage to the compressor. It is important to always use the correct fuse size as recommended by the manufacturer.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when selecting the right fuse size for a compressor?

In addition to the compressor's maximum amperage rating, other factors such as the length of the power cord and the voltage of the electrical supply should also be taken into consideration. It is important to consult the manufacturer's guidelines and specifications to ensure the correct fuse size is selected.