Fourier Transforms: Proving Proportionality

• Thread starter smallgirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fourier
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a Fourier transform to show the proportionality between the given on shell wave packet and the given exponential function. The individual also mentions solving an integral involving the wave packet and using Fourier transforms to graph it.
smallgirl
1. We consider the on shell wave packet:
[tex]\varphi(t,x)=\int\frac{dk}{2\pi}exp(-\frac{(k-k_{0})^{2}}{\Delta k^{2}}+ik(t-x))dk
[/tex]

I need to show it is proportional to:
[tex]exp(ik_{0}(t-x)-\frac{\triangle k^{2}}{4}(t-x)^{2})dk[/tex]
through a Fourier transform of the gaussian

3. I used a Fourier transform of the form e^(ikx) but this doesn't seem to give me the right answer as I end up with something proportional to [tex]exp(-\frac{(k-k_{0})^{2}}{\triangle k^{2}}+ikt)dk[/tex] before integrating

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us what you think the integral for ##\varphi(t,k)## is.

Solved it! :-)...

However I now need to solve this:

[tex]\int\frac{dk}{2\pi}exp(-\frac{(k-k_{o})^{2}}{\triangle k^{2}}+ik(pt-x) [/tex]

where [tex] p=1-\frac{h_{00}}{2}-h_{01}-\frac{h_{11}}{2}[/tex]

by using Fourier transforms

Solved this one too now :-)

Not sure how to graph it though...

I can provide a response to this content by explaining the concept of Fourier transforms and how they can be used to prove proportionality between two functions.

Fourier transforms are mathematical tools used to analyze functions in the frequency domain. They allow us to decompose a function into its individual frequency components, providing a better understanding of the function's behavior. In this case, we are interested in proving proportionality between two functions, which means that one function is a constant multiple of the other.

To prove proportionality between the two functions given, we can use the property of Fourier transforms that states that the transform of a product of two functions is equal to the convolution of their individual transforms. In other words, if we take the Fourier transform of the product of the two functions, we should get a result that is proportional to the transform of each individual function.

In this case, we can take the Fourier transform of the on shell wave packet function, which is given by:

\hat{\varphi}(\omega, k) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \varphi(t,x) e^{-i\omega t} e^{-ikx} dt dx

Substituting the given function for \varphi(t,x) and simplifying, we get:

\hat{\varphi}(\omega, k) = \frac{\Delta k}{2\pi} e^{-\frac{\Delta k^2}{4}(\omega - k_0)^2}

On the other hand, the Fourier transform of exp(ik_0(t-x)-\frac{\triangle k^{2}}{4}(t-x)^{2})dk is given by:

\hat{\psi}(\omega, k) = \sqrt{2\pi} \delta(k-k_0) e^{-\frac{\Delta k^2}{4}(\omega - k_0)^2}

where \delta(k-k_0) is the Dirac delta function.

Comparing the two transforms, we can see that they are proportional to each other, with a constant factor of \sqrt{2\pi}\Delta k. This proves that the two functions are indeed proportional to each other.

In conclusion, by using the property of Fourier transforms, we can prove proportionality between two functions in the frequency domain. This

What is a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical tool used to decompose a complex signal into its individual frequency components. It essentially converts a signal from its time domain representation to its frequency domain representation.

How does a Fourier transform work?

A Fourier transform works by representing a signal as a sum of sinusoidal functions with different frequencies, amplitudes, and phases. This allows us to analyze the different frequency components of a signal and understand its underlying structure.

What is the relationship between Fourier transforms and proportionality?

Fourier transforms and proportionality are closely related because the Fourier transform shows the proportionality between the frequency components of a signal and their respective amplitudes. This allows us to determine the relative importance of different frequencies in a signal.

What are some applications of Fourier transforms?

Fourier transforms have numerous applications in various fields such as signal processing, image and audio compression, data analysis, and solving differential equations. They are also used in fields like physics, engineering, and finance to understand and analyze complex systems.

What is the difference between a Fourier transform and a Fourier series?

A Fourier transform is used for continuous signals, while a Fourier series is used for periodic signals. A Fourier transform converts a signal into its frequency components, whereas a Fourier series represents a periodic signal as a sum of sinusoidal functions with different frequencies, amplitudes, and phases.