Sine wave power amplification question

In summary, the conversation is about someone new to electrical engineering seeking help on amplifying a low power sine wave signal to 110V RMS and 50W. They are also curious about amplifying a square wave signal. Safety concerns are mentioned and suggestions for potential ICs to use are given. It is recommended to look into purchasing an existing power amplifier rather than designing one.
ajamplifier
Hello all,

I'm new to electrical engineering, and I'm working on a project that requires a bit more than I'm familiar with. What I'm asking for help on boils down to this: I have a circuit that outputs a low power sine wave (frequency 25-40kHz) with an amplitude +/- 5V at a few watts. I want to amplify this sine wave signal to be at 110V RMS and 50W, or somewhere about there, it's flexible. I'm looking for some sort of IC or simple circuit that will allow me to amplify my input signal, and I was hoping for suggestions from the community.

As a side note, would it be possible to do the same sort of amplification for a +/- 5V square wave rather than a sine wave? Is there some system that would do both?

Thanks very much, an feel free to include as much information as you'd like, I'm hoping to learn something!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The 110V rms is potentially lethal. If you are new to EE, I really wish you would engage a qualified EE to handle such a job. You are engaging to design a power amplifier. This is a mature well documented product, but still, if you've never designed one, I suggest you train yourself with units 24V rms or less. The 110V rms magnitude is too much for a novice. Your first mistake could be your last. Just trying to keep you safe.

Claude

Thank you very much for your concern! At the job I work at, we build pulsed power supplies that deliver up to 30kV pulses, and I'm well trained in how to safely deal with high voltages. My lack of familiarity is in what types of IC products exist out there to do what I want. Do you by any chance have some suggestions?

Thanks!

You probably don't need to design the amp yourself. The frequency range, voltage, and power look about right for driving ultrasonic transducers for cleaning, etc. Shop around and see what you can buy before you reinvent the wheel.

Check application notes for National LM12CLK. It's an obsolete opamp capable of 80 watts , but there are replacements. I built several projects with them before they got so expensive. The appnotes as i recall showed some clever circuits.

1. What is a sine wave power amplification?

Sine wave power amplification is a method of increasing the amplitude of an input sine wave signal using an amplifier. It involves boosting the power of the signal to a higher level without distorting its shape or frequency.

2. How does sine wave power amplification work?

Sine wave power amplification works by taking an input sine wave signal and increasing its voltage using an amplifier. The amplifier uses transistors or tubes to boost the power of the signal without altering its shape or frequency, resulting in a larger and more powerful output signal.

3. What are the benefits of using sine wave power amplification?

Using sine wave power amplification allows for a clean and accurate amplification of signals. It helps to increase the output power of a signal without adding distortion or noise. This is particularly important in audio applications, where a clean and undistorted signal is crucial.

4. Are there any limitations to sine wave power amplification?

One limitation of sine wave power amplification is that it only works for sinusoidal signals. It cannot amplify non-sinusoidal signals, such as square waves or triangle waves, without introducing distortion. Additionally, the amplification is limited by the power supply and the capabilities of the amplifier.

5. How is sine wave power amplification different from other types of amplification?

Sine wave power amplification is different from other types of amplification, such as class A, B, AB, or D, in that it focuses on amplifying a specific type of signal – a sine wave. Other types of amplification may be more suitable for amplifying different types of signals, depending on the specific application and requirements.