Calculation of velocity during pitch up

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of an airplane's velocity after executing a quarter loop. The individual is using an incremental equation, but is unsure how to account for changes in lift as velocity decreases. They provide the variables used in the equation and mention that pitch rate can be substituted for a more usable value.
strive
Hi
I need to calculate the velocity of an airplane after it executes quarter loop (starts horizontally, pitches up and ends vertically). Because I also need to know the velocity at several intermittent points I wrote an incremental equation (below).
But this is only correct (if it is correct at all) as long as lift does not change. But as velocity falls so does lift. So how do I include this?

Fdt – drag force [N] (calculated separately)
Ft – thrust force [N] (calculated separately)
t – time step
m – mass of the airplane [kg]
theta – pitch rate [°/s]
g – gravitational acceleration [m/s˄2]

alfa=alfa+(theta*t) % pitch angle relative to ground [°]
v=v-(t*Fdt/m)-(g*cosd(alfa)*t)+(t*Ft/m) % vehicle velocity in its longitudinal direction [m/s]

note: pitch rate can be substituted for anything more usable

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

1. What is the definition of velocity during pitch up?

Velocity during pitch up refers to the speed at which an object is moving while undergoing a pitch up motion. Pitch up is a maneuver in which an object, such as an aircraft, rotates its nose upwards, causing an increase in altitude and a decrease in forward velocity.

2. How is velocity during pitch up calculated?

Velocity during pitch up can be calculated using the formula: V = (g * tanΘ) * t, where V is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, tanΘ is the tangent of the pitch angle, and t is the time elapsed during the pitch up maneuver.

3. What factors affect the velocity during pitch up?

The velocity during pitch up can be affected by several factors, including the mass and weight of the object, the angle of pitch, the aerodynamic forces acting on the object, and the amount of thrust or power applied.

4. Why is it important to calculate the velocity during pitch up?

Calculating the velocity during pitch up is important for understanding the performance of an object, such as an aircraft, during this maneuver. It can also help in predicting the amount of time and distance needed to complete the pitch up motion, and in ensuring the safety of the object and its occupants.

5. How can the velocity during pitch up be measured or observed?

The velocity during pitch up can be measured or observed using various methods, such as using onboard instruments, such as an airspeed indicator or a vertical speed indicator, or by analyzing data from flight simulations or wind tunnel experiments.