Thermal Compound, calculating amount of hardener and resin by weight

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of mixing two liquids together and determining the appropriate amounts of hardener and resin. The directions state to mix 10.4 parts of hardener for every 100 parts of resin, resulting in a final mixture of 2.75lb. The speaker suggests using percentages to determine the required amounts, with 9.42% hardener and 90.58% resin needed for the desired final mixture. They also provide a calculation method to double check the amounts.
2slowtogofast
I have a simple question. If when mixing two liquids together the directions say mix 10.4 parts of hardner by weight for every 100 parts of resin and I want the final mixture to be 2.75lb, could I do the following?

Mh = mass of hardener
Mr = mass of resin

Mh + Mr = 2.75lb

Mh/Mr = 10.4/100 = .104

Then just solve from there to get the amount of each. I know this should be pretty straight forward but I just wantedto double check. Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
lay these things right out

I always like to lay these things right out as percentages:

You need 9.42% hardener, and need 90.58% resin.

10.4/(100+10.4) = 0.0942
100/(100+10.4) = 0.9058

Mh 0.0942 x 2.75 = 0.259
Mr 0.9058 x 2.75 = 2.491

check1: 0.259 + 2.491 = 2.75
check2: 0.259/2.75 = 0.0942 = 9.42%

Last edited:

What is thermal compound?

Thermal compound, also known as thermal paste or thermal grease, is a substance used to improve the thermal conductivity between two surfaces, such as a computer processor and a heat sink. It helps to transfer heat away from the processor more efficiently, preventing overheating and potential damage.

Why is it important to calculate the amount of hardener and resin by weight?

Calculating the amount of hardener and resin by weight is important because it ensures the proper ratio of components for the thermal compound to function effectively. If the ratio is incorrect, the thermal compound may not perform as expected and could potentially cause damage to the components.

How do I calculate the amount of hardener and resin by weight?

To calculate the amount of hardener and resin by weight, you will need to know the specific gravity of each component and the desired ratio. Multiply the weight of the resin by the desired ratio, then divide by the specific gravity of the hardener. This will give you the weight of hardener needed. Subtract the weight of the hardener from the total weight of the mixture to determine the amount of resin needed.

Can I use a different ratio of hardener and resin?

The ratio of hardener and resin is crucial for the thermal compound to function properly. It is not recommended to use a different ratio than what is specified by the manufacturer. Using a different ratio could result in the thermal compound not performing as intended and could potentially damage the components.

Are there any safety precautions I should take when handling thermal compound?

Yes, it is important to wear gloves and work in a well-ventilated area when handling thermal compound. The components in thermal compound can be harmful if inhaled or come in contact with the skin. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper storage and disposal of the compound.