What elasticity formula to use

In summary, the problem involves a person bungee jumping from a 100m platform using a rubber cord with a coefficient of k = 6500 g/s^2. The equations given are Force = -(spring constant)(elongation) and Hanging mass * gravity = spring constant * elongation. The person is unsure which formula to use and is looking for help. The conversation also includes discussions about finding the stretch distance, solving for a 70kg person, and the length of the cord not being specified. Ultimately, the person is able to calculate the stretch distance for a 60kg person and determine that there is enough clearance for them to safely bungee jump, but requires help with the second part of the problem.
brayrbob
Just to let you all know I really appreciate your help.

Problem
A person is doing bungee jumping from a 100m platform. Let's say that the rubber cord's coefficient is k = 6500 g/s^2. Would a 60 kg person hit the ground when jumping using that rubber cord?
The two equations that are given to use are Force - -(spring constant)(elongation) and Hanging mass *gravity = spring constant * elongation.
I'm not really sure which formula to use. I think the spring constant is k=6500 and I have done this 60*980 = 58800 but have drawn a blank.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you been given the equation for spring potential energy? It is E= .5 k x^2
I would calculate the gravitational potential energy and see how far the bungee would stretch. Also, does your problem say how long the cord itself is? I think you would need to know that to solve the problem.

If you do have the length of the bungee, calculate how much the cord stretches and see if that is larger than 100 m. If it is...*splat*

No that equation is not in this lab and the question doesn't say what the length of the bungee is. Somehow I'm supposed to find the stretch distance in problem two.
Would a 70kg person hit the ground when jumping? Use g= 980cm/s^2 Hint: find the stretch distance and compare with 100 meters or 10,000cm. I think I'm tired because this problem makes no sense to me.

Hmm..I guess you're just supposed to set the force of the cord equal to the force of gravity and solve for x. But I'd think there should be more stuff involved here (i.e. energy, rather than just forces). I'd approach this as a conservation of energy problem, so I'm not sure if I can help you here. Maybe someone else on the board can get you going in the right direction. Sorry :blushing:

Well here is the equation for elongation
elongation * constant = mass * gravity to solve for elongation I have to change the equation to elongation = mass * gravity/constant So instead of using 60kg for the mass I used 60,000g since the other info has grams as their units.
60,000 * 980/6500 = 9046.153846 So the elongation of the cord is 9046.15 compared to 10,000 cm platform that leaves about 953.85 cm of clearance if I've figured this right

Yep looks like you did it right.

Thank goodness,
Now I have to solve the second problem which is would a 70kg (70,000g or 154lbs) person hit the ground when jumping? Use g = 980 cm/s^2. The hint is to find the stretch distance and compare with 100 meters or 10,000cm.
My question is the stretch distance and elongation basically the same thing? If it is then I can use the coefficient k = 6500 g.s^2 of the previous problem.

how long is the cord

The question doesn't say how long the cord is.I used the coefficient from the previous prpblem.

1. What is elasticity?

Elasticity refers to the measure of the responsiveness of a variable to a change in another variable. In economics, it is used to describe how changes in price or income affect the quantity of a good or service demanded by consumers.

2. What are the different types of elasticity?

There are three main types of elasticity: price elasticity of demand, income elasticity of demand, and cross-price elasticity of demand. Price elasticity of demand measures the responsiveness of quantity demanded to changes in price. Income elasticity of demand measures the responsiveness of quantity demanded to changes in income. Cross-price elasticity of demand measures the responsiveness of quantity demanded of one good to changes in the price of another related good.

3. How is elasticity calculated?

Elasticity is calculated by taking the percentage change in quantity demanded divided by the percentage change in price. The formula for price elasticity of demand is: (Q2-Q1)/(Q2+Q1)/2 divided by (P2-P1)/(P2+P1)/2. The result will be a negative number, indicating a negative relationship between price and quantity demanded.

4. How do I know which elasticity formula to use?

The elasticity formula to use depends on the type of elasticity you are trying to calculate. If you are looking for price elasticity of demand, you would use the formula mentioned above. If you are looking for income elasticity of demand, you would use the formula: (Q2-Q1)/(Q2+Q1)/2 divided by (I2-I1)/(I2+I1)/2, where I represents income. If you are looking for cross-price elasticity of demand, you would use the formula: (Q2-Q1)/(Q2+Q1)/2 divided by (P2-P1)/(P2+P1)/2, where P represents the price of the related good.

5. How does elasticity affect pricing and demand?

Elasticity plays a crucial role in pricing and demand. A high price elasticity of demand means that consumers are very responsive to changes in price, so a small change in price can lead to a large change in quantity demanded. This means that businesses need to be careful when setting prices, as a small increase in price could lead to a significant decrease in demand. On the other hand, a low price elasticity of demand means that consumers are not very responsive to changes in price, so businesses have more flexibility in setting prices. Understanding elasticity can help businesses make informed decisions about pricing strategies and forecasting demand.