Odd request from somebody who doesn't know much.

• Thread starter Steganos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Request
In summary, the conversation discusses the comparison between science and religion, specifically in regards to the creation of the universe. It touches on the concept of vacuum and its relationship to particles and quantum fluctuations. The idea of the Big Bang is also discussed, with the possibility of matter existing from the beginning. The process of the Big Bang is still uncertain and there are various theories surrounding it. It is mentioned that the behavior of particles deep inside matter can only be determined by probability, and the concept of randomness is compared to the irrationality of PI. Finally, the conversation touches on the religious belief that matter is controlled by a God and the importance of providing evidence for such claims.
Steganos
Hi. I'm to compare science and religion for some schoolwork that I'm doing in a religion class. I'm to find out how this universe was created in the first place.

According to what I've been hearing, vacuum isn't 'nothing'. Vacuum is a quantum field where particles can appear for a short amount of time through quantum fluctations. I may be wrong, but this is what I've been hearing.

Let's assume for a second that the whole universe was just one big fat space of vacuum. Would the so called 'big bang' occur from 'nowhere' or is it likely that all matter existed from the beginning?

If big bang appeared out of nowhere, could you please tell me a bit about the process and/or possibly recommend some sites for me.

Something else I've been hearing is that when you look what's happening deep inside matters, you are only able to determine the probability of what is going to happen with it.

Suppose I'm correct about the last thing I've been hearing. What is believed to really control matter? Is it done very randomly or does it seemed to be controlled in some way? Is the randomness comparable to the irationality of PI?

From a religious point of view, one could argue that matter is controlled by a God. This is why I'm asking you about it. I'm to be critical against different beliefs.

Thank you in advance. This will really be of help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Steganos
According to what I've been hearing, vacuum isn't 'nothing'.

Whether vacuum is "nothing" depends mostly on how you choose to define that word.

Vacuum is a quantum field where particles can appear for a short amount of time through quantum fluctations. I may be wrong, but this is what I've been hearing.

We can't observe vacuum fluctuations directly, but our theory of vacuum fluctuations predicts that they will have observable consequences for things we do observe, and experiments bear this out.

Let's assume for a second that the whole universe was just one big fat space of vacuum. Would the so called 'big bang' occur from 'nowhere' or is it likely that all matter existed from the beginning?

In most theories of the Big Bang, matter did not suddenly appear; it existed from the beginning. Whether the Big Bang "appeared out of nowhere" again depends on what you mean by that.

If big bang appeared out of nowhere, could you please tell me a bit about the process and/or possibly recommend some sites for me.

There are many ideas about the Big Bang, and nobody knows whether any of them are even close to being correct.

Do a Google search for "quantum cosmology". You'll have to sort through a lot of technical and non-technical material. I know that the talk.origins newsgroup has had discussions of the origins of the universe (that's one reason why it's called "talk.origins"). If you add the qualifier "site:talkorigins.org" to your Google search after the keywords, you'll find whatever they have archived on their site.

Something else I've been hearing is that when you look what's happening deep inside matters, you are only able to determine the probability of what is going to happen with it.

Yes.

Suppose I'm correct about the last thing I've been hearing. What is believed to really control matter? Is it done very randomly or does it seemed to be controlled in some way?

According to quantum mechanics, the dynamics of particles are random, with the probability distributions given by the laws of quantum theory.

Is the randomness comparable to the irationality of PI?

I don't know how.

From a religious point of view, one could argue that matter is controlled by a God.

One could, but to argue that, one should give evidence in its favor, regardless of what physics does or doesn't say on the matter.

Here's a link:

http://ssscott.tripod.com/BigBang.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an "odd request" in the context of scientific research?

An odd request in scientific research refers to a request or inquiry that may seem unusual or out of the ordinary. It may not align with the typical methods or procedures used in the field and may require further explanation or clarification.

2. Is it common for someone with limited knowledge to make an odd request in the scientific community?

Yes, it is not uncommon for individuals with limited knowledge or understanding of a particular subject to make an odd request in the scientific community. This could be due to a lack of understanding of the research process or a misunderstanding of the topic being studied.

3. How should a scientist respond to an odd request from someone with limited knowledge?

A scientist should respond to an odd request with patience and understanding. They should try to explain the research process and the reasoning behind their methods in a clear and concise manner. It is important to educate and inform others about science, even if they may not have a strong background in the field.

4. Can odd requests from someone with limited knowledge lead to valuable insights or contributions to scientific research?

Yes, odd requests from individuals with limited knowledge can sometimes lead to valuable insights or contributions to scientific research. These requests may come from a unique perspective and could spark new ideas or approaches to a problem. It is important to keep an open mind and consider all perspectives in scientific research.

5. How can scientists ensure that odd requests do not hinder their research progress?

Scientists can ensure that odd requests do not hinder their research progress by maintaining clear communication and boundaries. They should carefully consider the validity and relevance of any odd requests and prioritize their research goals and objectives. It is also important to set boundaries and politely decline requests that do not align with the research being conducted.