Introductory Quantum Physics Reading?

In summary, the person is a first year university student with a basic understanding of chemistry and physics. They are looking for reading suggestions to gain a better understanding of quantum physics. They have already learned about Neils Bohr and are looking for something accessible with a basic calculus background. The expert recommends Vol. III of the Feynman Lectures and Modern Physics by Krane as good options for learning the foundational concepts of quantum mechanics. They also mention "Primer of Quantum Mechanics" by Marvin Chester as another potential resource, available in both paperback and online.
Dysprosium
I am a first year university student (and have taken chemistry and physics through high school, and still do) and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for reading that would give me a good introduction to the basic background ideas behind quantum physics. I've already learned a good deal about Neils Bohr and his gang, but I was looking for something that would be easily accessible to someone with only some basic calculus, a good understanding of chemistry, and a good understanding of physics (i.e. someone like me).

Thank you for any suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Normally I would either recommend a standard undergraduate quantum mechanics text, or else a non-mathematical popularization. But for someone who is mostly looking for concepts, but who also has a calculus-level mathematical background, I think Vol. III of the Feynman Lectures would be a good choice. Feynman goes quite far without using a whole lot of gory mathematics; you won't learn how to grind through and solve lots of problems, but you will get a solid sense of the foundations of the theory.

In addition to the Feynman lectures, I would recommend Modern Physics by Krane.

Thanks a lot, you guys!

"PRIMER OF QUANTUM MECHANICS"
by Marvin Chester
copyright 1987 (Reprint 1992,?)
Published by
KRIEGER PUBLISHING CO.
KRIEGER DRIVE
MALABAR, FLORDIA 32950
ISBN 0-89464-701-6

I've heard good things about Chester. Is it back in print again? Last I heard, it wasn't.

barnesandnoble.com
SEARCH marvin chester
"PRIMER OF QUANTUM MECHANICS"
paperback 19.95
May 2002

http://store.yahoo.com/doverpublications/0486428788.html

same paperback 19.95
ISBN 0486428788

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how particles interact and behave differently from what we observe in classical physics.

2. Why is introductory quantum physics important?

Introductory quantum physics is important because it provides the foundation for understanding many fundamental concepts in physics, including atomic and molecular structures, energy levels, and quantum mechanics. It also has many practical applications in modern technology, such as in computers, lasers, and medical imaging.

3. What are the basic principles of quantum physics?

The basic principles of quantum physics include wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, superposition, and entanglement. These principles explain the behavior and interactions of particles at a quantum level and are essential in understanding the quantum world.

4. What are some common misconceptions about quantum physics?

One common misconception about quantum physics is that it only applies to very small particles. In reality, quantum mechanics governs the behavior of all matter, regardless of size. Another misconception is that quantum physics is unpredictable, when in fact it follows precise mathematical laws and can be used to make accurate predictions.

5. What are some useful resources for learning introductory quantum physics?

There are many resources available for learning introductory quantum physics, including textbooks, online courses, and video lectures. Some popular resources include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, and the MIT OpenCourseWare "Quantum Physics I" course. Additionally, universities and libraries may offer workshops or seminars on the subject.