Which method of integration for sin^2(x) dx

Hence, ∫sin^{2}xdx=x/2 - 1/4 sin2x+c/2.In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve the integral \int sin^{2}(x) using various methods such as the double angle formula for cosine and integration by parts. The final result is determined to be \frac{x}{2} - \frac{1}{4}sin(2x) + c/2.
Adyssa
During maths class last semester this integral came up in the course of discussion and my lecturer gave a quick outline of how to solve it but I didn't grasp it at the time and we moved on. I'd like to know how to do it though! The integral is:

[itex]\int sin^{2}(x)[/itex]

The next step was:

[itex]\int sin(x).(-cos(x)')[/itex]

where [itex]-cos(x)'[/itex] denotes the derivative of [itex]-cos(x)[/itex] and the implication was that [itex]sin^{2}(x)[/itex] is the result of applying the chain rule to whatever compound function it is the derivative of. I can't remember the result but further steps were skipped and he jumped straight to the answer at this point.

I'm not sure how to proceed here, because the chain rule implies that [itex]\frac{dy}{dx} f(g(x)) = f'(g(x) . g'(x)[/itex], and in my example [itex]g(x) = x[/itex] and [itex]g'(x) = 1[/itex] which doesn't help me end up with [itex]sin(x)[/itex] as required.

Could anyone poke me in the right direction to solve this? =)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd forget the chain rule and try to re-write [itex]\sin^2x[/itex] as something I could integrate, if I were you. It might be possible by parts, too, but I haven't actually tried that so I wouldn't swear to it.

The method I was taught was to use the double angle formula for cosine.
I really have no idea what your teacher is trying to do.

Adyssa said:
I'm not sure how to proceed here, because the chain rule implies that [itex]\frac{dy}{dx} f(g(x)) = f'(g(x) . g'(x)[/itex], and in my example [itex]g(x) = x[/itex] and [itex]g'(x) = 1[/itex] which doesn't help me end up with [itex]sin(x)[/itex] as required.

Could anyone poke me in the right direction to solve this? =)
You don't want the chain rule. You want the product rule, the integration equivalent of which is integration by parts.

Before nudging you in the right direction, there is a much easier way to find [itex]\int sin^2x\,dx[/itex]. Use the identity [itex]\sin^2x = (\frac{1-\cos(2x)} 2[/itex]. The right hand side is easy to integrate.

The product rule is [itex](f(x)g(x))' = f'(x)g(x) + f(x)g'(x)[/itex]. Transforming to integration,[tex]\int (f(x)g(x))' dx = f(x)g(x) = \int f'(x)g(x)dx + \int f(x)g'(x)dx[/tex]
Note that this is integration by parts, just written a bit differently. You are using [itex]f(x)=\sin x[/itex] and [itex]g(x)=-\cos x[/itex]. Plug these in. You'll eventually need a different trig identity, [itex]\sin^2x + \cos^2x = 1[/itex], to finish it off.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I'm really awful at remembering trig identities (and remembering in general =S), I had a large gap between high school and university maths, so I have to re-learn a lot of the basics as I go along.

I solved it by using the double angle identity [itex]sin^{2}x = \frac{1 - cos(2x)}{2}[/itex] and integration by substitution - [itex]u = 2x, du = 2dx, dx = \frac{1}{2}du[/itex], and my result was [itex]\frac{x}{2} - \frac{1}{4}sin(2x)[/itex]. I took the derivative to check my answer and it worked, so that's great!

I'm going to have a go at the integration by parts method now.

Adyssa, I had a typo (matho) in my previous post.

Adyssa said:
I took the derivative to check my answer and it worked, so that's great!
It is always a good idea to double check your work. Good job!

You can try another technique...
let
I=∫sin[itex]^{2}[/itex]xdx ---------(i)
or I=∫dx-∫cos[itex]^{2}[/itex]xdx
or I=x-∫cos[itex]^{2}[/itex]xdx +c[itex]_{1}[/itex] -------(ii)

Adding (i) and (ii),
2I=x-∫[cos[itex]^{2}[/itex]x-sin[itex]^{2}[/itex]x]dx +c[itex]_{1}[/itex]
2I=x-∫cos2xdx +c[itex]_{1}[/itex]
2I=x-1/2 sin2x +c
I=x/2 - 1/4 sin2x+c

What is the method of integration for sin^2(x) dx?

The most commonly used method for integrating sin^2(x) dx is the reduction formula, which involves using trigonometric identities to simplify the integral and then applying the power rule for integration.

Can the method of integration for sin^2(x) dx be solved using substitution?

Yes, substitution can also be used to integrate sin^2(x) dx. By substituting u = sin(x) and using the identity cos^2(x) = 1 - sin^2(x), the integral can be simplified and solved using the power rule.

What is the difference between using the reduction formula and substitution for integrating sin^2(x) dx?

The reduction formula is a more general method that can be applied to integrate any power of sin(x) or cos(x), while substitution is specifically used for integrating sin^2(x) dx. Additionally, substitution may require multiple steps and identities, while the reduction formula is a more direct approach.

Are there any other methods for integrating sin^2(x) dx?

Yes, another method for integrating sin^2(x) dx is using trigonometric identities to rewrite the integral as a product of trigonometric functions that can then be integrated using the power rule or other techniques.

Can the method of integration for sin^2(x) dx be applied to other trigonometric functions?

Yes, the reduction formula can be used for integrating any power of sin(x) or cos(x), while substitution and other methods can also be applied to other trigonometric functions such as tan(x) or sec(x).