Describe the surface created by the equations.

• Thread starter paulharrylemon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surface
In summary: Pretty close, it's part of a cone. Remember when you square something that not all solutions of the final equation are solutions of the equation you started with.It is easier to just note that ##\vec{r}\cdot \vec{n} = r \cos(\theta), ## where ##r = |\vec{r}|## and ##\theta## is the angle between ##\vec{r}## and ##\vec{n}##. So, the equation says ##r \cos(\theta) = a r,## hence either ##r = 0## or ##\cos(\theta) = a.## For ##a \in (-1,1),## this
paulharrylemon
1. Position vector r DOT n(hat) = a, where n(hat) is a unit vector and a is a scalar.

2. Position vector r DOT n(hat) = a times (magnitude of) r.

I know the first question describes a plane of n = a, if n is a Cartesian unit vector. However I don't know if I should worry about other unit vectors. The second question I would think the plane just changes by mag of r, but that seems too simple. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
paulharrylemon said:
1. Position vector r DOT n(hat) = a, where n(hat) is a unit vector and a is a scalar.

I know the first question describes a plane of n = a, if n is a Cartesian unit vector. However I don't know if I should worry about other unit vectors. The second question I would think the plane just changes by mag of r, but that seems too simple. Thanks for any help.

Rotate the vectors so that ##\hat n## becomes ##\hat x## (the x unit vector). Now write the equations out in coordinates where r=(x,y,z). So your first equation is x=a. So sure, it's a plane (possibly rotated). The second becomes ##x=a \sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}##. What kind of surface is that?

paulharrylemon said:

I know the first question describes a plane of n = a, if n is a Cartesian unit vector.
What do you mean by "n= a" if n is "a Cartesian unit vector" and a is a scalar?

However I don't know if I should worry about other unit vectors. The second question I would think the plane just changes by mag of r, but that seems too simple. Thanks for any help.

I am not sure what I mean haha. I know that if n is a unit vector, then it will be n = a. I am not sure how it is if it is not a Cartesian unit vector. Thank you Dick! That was very clear and exactly what I needed. z = a√(x^2+y^2+z^2) brings back memories of multivariable calculus, but I am not exactly sure how to proceed. :(

paulharrylemon said:
I am not sure what I mean haha. I know that if n is a unit vector, then it will be n = a. I am not sure how it is if it is not a Cartesian unit vector. Thank you Dick! That was very clear and exactly what I needed. z = a√(x^2+y^2+z^2) brings back memories of multivariable calculus, but I am not exactly sure how to proceed. :(

Go back and review conic sections. The form of the graph will depend on whether a is less than, greater than or equal to 1.

Dick said:
Go back and review conic sections. The form of the graph will depend on whether a is less than, greater than or equal to 1.

Since ##\vec{n}## is a unit vector, the equation
[tex] \vec{r} \cdot \vec{n} = |\vec{r}| a [/tex]
becomes very special if ##a = 1##, and even more special if ##a > 1##.

a < 1 for this problem, though the professor did say a special case arises for a > 1 :)

I got to: z^2 = (a^2(x^2 + y^2)) / (1 - a^2), at which point I can just call it a cone based upon the standard equation of a cone. Right?!

paulharrylemon said:
I got to: z^2 = (a^2(x^2 + y^2)) / (1 - a^2), at which point I can just call it a cone based upon the standard equation of a cone. Right?!

Pretty close, it's part of a cone. Remember when you square something that not all solutions of the final equation are solutions of the equation you started with.

paulharrylemon said:

It is easier to just note that ##\vec{r}\cdot \vec{n} = r \cos(\theta), ## where ##r = |\vec{r}|## and ##\theta## is the angle between ##\vec{r}## and ##\vec{n}##. So, the equation says
##r \cos(\theta) = a r,## hence either ##r = 0## or ##\cos(\theta) = a.## For ##a \in (-1,1),## this says that ##\theta =## constant, so describes a cone.

1. What is the surface created by the equations?

The surface created by the equations is a three-dimensional representation of a mathematical function. It is often referred to as a "graph" in mathematics and can be thought of as a visual representation of how the output changes as the input values are varied.

2. How is the surface created by the equations calculated?

The surface is calculated by plugging in different values for the independent variables in the equations and plotting the corresponding points on a three-dimensional coordinate system. This process is repeated for multiple points until a complete surface is formed.

3. What do the equations represent in the surface?

The equations represent the relationship between the variables and how they affect the output. Each equation represents a different variable and the combination of all the equations creates the overall shape of the surface.

4. Can the surface created by the equations be manipulated?

Yes, the surface can be manipulated by changing the equations or the values of the variables. This can result in different shapes and patterns on the surface, allowing for further analysis and exploration of the mathematical function.

5. What can we learn from studying the surface created by the equations?

Studying the surface allows us to understand the behavior of the mathematical function and how it changes based on the variables involved. It can also help us make predictions and solve real-life problems by using the equations to model and analyze different scenarios.