Why so much pain to get our teeth cleaned?

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pain Teeth
In summary, getting our teeth cleaned can be painful, but it is necessary for maintaining good dental hygiene. The pain may be caused by unsatisfactory dental hygiene and can lead to gum infections. It is recommended to request a different dental assistant if the cleaning is too painful. Many people dread going to the dentist, not for teeth cleaning, but for other procedures that may involve pain.
pivoxa15
It always hurts a lot to get our teeth cleaned. Although afterwards it is not completely white either.

Why does it hurt so much to get our teeth cleaned? Is there a way to get it cleaned without all the pain yet just as clean either in theory or practice?

Biology news on Phys.org
Teeth cleaning hurts? Maybe you need to request a different dental assistant do your cleanings. Unless you have unusually sensitive teeth, teeth cleaning doesn't hurt.

However, pains due to gum infections caused by unsatisfactory dental hygene DO hurt. Trust me, I've had some tartar accumulation under the gum, had terrible pains, removed tartar 7 months ago, no pains for 7 months and now it hurts me again. :yuck: :cry: Apparently it's a chronical matter now. The doctor told me that the gum no longer adheres to the tooth and germs and/or microbs could enter there at any second. This recurrence is quite awkward, since I've cleaned my teeth perfectly since may...

The most unberable pains are from teeth problems...Cleaning healthy teeth doesn't hurt, it takes time and for lazy people that's a problem.

Daniel.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
Teeth cleaning hurts? Maybe you need to request a different dental assistant do your cleanings. Unless you have unusually sensitive teeth, teeth cleaning doesn't hurt.

Dosen't the dentist use a very thin hence sharp vibrating stick at the place between your teeth and gum and in between teeth? This is both the most sensitive place and the dirtiest as plaque usually builds up there.

Also if teeth cleaning dosen't hurt than why do I get the impression that many people dread going to the dentist?

Because most people don't go to the dentist for a detartration (plaque removal). They go for matters whose resolutions usually implies pain.

Daniel.

1. Why does getting our teeth cleaned cause so much pain?

Getting our teeth cleaned can cause pain due to the sensitivity of our teeth and gums. The cleaning process involves scraping and polishing the teeth to remove plaque and tartar, which can irritate the sensitive nerves in our teeth. Additionally, if there is an underlying dental issue such as gum disease or cavities, the cleaning process can exacerbate the pain.

2. Is it normal to experience pain during a teeth cleaning?

Some mild discomfort during a teeth cleaning is normal, especially if you have sensitive teeth. However, if the pain is severe or lasts longer than a day, it may be a sign of a larger dental issue and you should consult with your dentist.

3. How can I minimize the pain during a teeth cleaning?

To minimize the pain during a teeth cleaning, you can try using a desensitizing toothpaste before your appointment. You can also communicate with your dentist and let them know if you are experiencing discomfort during the cleaning so they can adjust their techniques. Additionally, practicing good oral hygiene at home can help reduce pain during cleanings by keeping your teeth and gums healthy.

4. Why do some people experience more pain during teeth cleanings than others?

Everyone's pain tolerance is different, so some people may experience more discomfort during a teeth cleaning than others. Additionally, the level of plaque and tartar buildup, as well as the presence of any underlying dental issues, can also affect the amount of pain experienced during a cleaning.

5. Can pain during teeth cleanings be a sign of a larger dental issue?

In some cases, yes, pain during teeth cleanings can be a sign of a larger dental issue such as gum disease or cavities. If the pain is severe or lasts longer than a day, it is important to consult with your dentist to determine the cause and address any underlying issues.