Iron and Vitamin C: Enhancing Absorption

• Medical
  • Thread starter Far Star
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iron
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of oral vitamin C to help the body absorb iron, and whether topical vitamin C combined with penetration enhancers can enhance dermal absorption of iron oxide. However, the expert believes that dermal absorption depends on the specific molecule or nanoparticle and its ability to pass through membranes, and there is currently no research on the subject. The conversation also mentions the standards for exposure to iron particulates in occupational settings and the use of iron oxide in cosmetics and skin preparations. The expert advises against trying to increase iron absorption through skin products and suggests using simple and effective options without added ingredients.
Far Star
I might be posting this in the wrong area. If so, sorry about that. :<)

From what little I understand of the subject oral vitamin C helps the body absorb iron. Should this be the case, could topical vitamin C in combination with penetration enhancers also enhance dermal absorption of iron oxide?

Biology news on Phys.org
Here is an abstract of a paper about iron absorption and ascorbic acid (Vit C) in the human gut - field trials.
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/67/5/873

My view on your question is no. Dermal absorption depends on the moleule or a nanoparticle in question being able to pass through membranes. Vitamin C in the gut has a very different effect on absorption of minerals in the gut than it would have dermally.
I don't know of any research on the subject, so this is a guess.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/hac/pha/georgetown/gsc_p1.html
The only standards available to use for comparison are those that have been developed for use in occupational settings. Occupational settings typically involve much higher exposures and exposure to many materials. The American Conference of Government Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) recommend an exposure limit of 5,000 µg/m3 time weighted average measured as iron. The United States Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) limits permissible exposure to 10,000 µg/m3 measured as total iron particulates.

Particulate matter is a complex ...

Why are you interested? If you are considering increasing the iron available to your body as a nutrient - don't. Unless you have malabsorptive disorders, you are probably already getting more iron in your diet than you need. If you are working around iron particulates, don't use vitamin C skin cream if you think it has an effect.

Last edited:
jim mcnamara said:
Why are you interested? If you are considering increasing the iron available to your body as a nutrient - don't. Unless you have malabsorptive disorders, you are probably already getting more iron in your diet than you need. If you are working around iron particulates, don't use vitamin C skin cream if you think it has an effect.

Thanks, Jim.

I was more concerned with dermal absorption. A number of cosmetics and skin preparations contain nano-particles of coated or uncoated iron oxide with various penetration enhancers and vitamins, C being a typical additive. Due to the reduced particle size the question came to mind.

Bare Minerals makeup

People have been putting fine mineral particulates on their skin for a lot of reasons for a very long time. There is even archeological data to believe other human species may have used used ochre on the skin.

The addition of other goodies, ascorbic acid and tocopherols, is new to the skin preparation market. I'd vote for something like Bare Minerals if I needed makeup. But since they do not let me out, it doesn't matter.

jim mcnamara said:
Bare Minerals makeup

People have been putting fine mineral particulates on their skin for a lot of reasons for a very long time. There is even archeological data to believe other human species may have used used ochre on the skin.

The addition of other goodies, ascorbic acid and tocopherols, is new to the skin preparation market. I'd vote for something like Bare Minerals if I needed makeup. But since they do not let me out, it doesn't matter.

I'm sure you'd look smashing in the misty mauve eyeshadow I saw earlier. *<) Seriously, quite a few men have been using mineral makeup as a light sunscreen and to add a little color in winter.

A few mineral makeup companies choose not to use nano-particles so there are choices out there. Until more studies are done I think I'd rather err on the side of something simple and effective without the bells and whistles.

1. What is the relationship between iron and vitamin C?

The relationship between iron and vitamin C is that vitamin C helps enhance the absorption of iron in the body. Iron is an essential mineral that is needed for the production of red blood cells, while vitamin C is an antioxidant that helps with the absorption of iron from plant-based sources.

2. Why is it important to enhance iron absorption?

It is important to enhance iron absorption because iron deficiency can lead to anemia, which can cause fatigue, weakness, and other health problems. By increasing iron absorption, the body can efficiently use this essential mineral for proper functioning.

3. How does vitamin C enhance iron absorption?

Vitamin C enhances iron absorption by reducing iron from its ferric form to its more easily absorbed ferrous form. This allows for easier transport of iron across the intestinal wall and into the bloodstream. Vitamin C also helps to create an acidic environment in the stomach, which aids in the absorption of iron.

4. What are some food sources of iron and vitamin C?

Iron can be found in both animal-based sources such as red meat, poultry, and seafood, as well as plant-based sources such as beans, leafy greens, and fortified cereals. Vitamin C can be found in citrus fruits, berries, tomatoes, and leafy greens.

5. Can taking iron and vitamin C supplements together enhance absorption?

Yes, taking iron and vitamin C supplements together can enhance absorption. It is recommended to take them at the same time, as vitamin C can help convert iron to its more easily absorbed form. However, it is always best to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new supplements.