[prove] monotonicity of function

• Thread starter Дьявол
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, to prove that the function f(x)=x-sin(x) is monotonic, we can start with x1<x2 and use the fact that 1>sin(x2)>0 and 1>sin(x1)>0. This leads to 1<sin(x2)-sin(x1)<0 and x1-x2<0, showing that f(x1)<f(x2). Similarly, if x2>x1, we can show that f(x1)>f(x2). Therefore, the function is monotonically increasing on the interval (0,п).
Дьявол

Homework Statement

Show that the function is monotonic, and if so find if it increases or decreases monotonically.

f(x)=ln(x-1), E=(1,∞) where E ⊆ Df

Homework Equations

a) monotonically increasing if the set E ⊆ Df for arbitrary numbers x1, x2 ∊ E and x1<x2 ⇒ f(x1)<f(x2)

b)monotonically decreasing if the set E ⊆ Df for arbitrary numbers x1, x2 ∊ E and x1<x2 ⇒ f(x1)>f(x2)

The Attempt at a Solution

So we need to start with x1<x2. Now:
f(x1)-f(x2)=ln(x1-1)-ln(x2-1)=
=[tex]ln\frac{x_1-1}{x_2-1}=ln\frac{x_2-1+x_1-x_2}{x_2-1}=ln(1+\frac{x_1-x_2}{x_2-1})[/tex]
But I am stuck in here proving, so I tried:
[tex]x_1<x_2[/tex] ; [tex]x_1-1<x_2-1[/tex] ; [tex]\frac{x_1-1}{x_2-1}<\frac{x_2-1}{x_2-1}[/tex] ; [tex]\frac{x_1-1}{x_2-1}<1[/tex] ; [tex]ln\frac{x_1-1}{x_2-1}<ln(1)[/tex] ; [tex]ln\frac{x_1-1}{x_2-1}<0[/tex]
so f(x1)-f(x2)<0 and f(x1)<f(x2) and the function is monotonically increasing. Is this correct? Can I always use this method?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Дьявол said:

Homework Statement

Show that the function is monotonic, and if so find if it increases or decreases monotonically.

f(x)=ln(x-1), E=(1,∞) where E ⊆ Df

Homework Equations

a) monotonically increasing if the set E ⊆ Df for arbitrary numbers x1, x2 ∊ E and x1<x2 ⇒ f(x1)<f(x2)

b)monotonically decreasing if the set E ⊆ Df for arbitrary numbers x1, x2 ∊ E and x1<x2 ⇒ f(x1)>f(x2)

The Attempt at a Solution

So we need to start with x1<x2. Now:
f(x1)-f(x2)=ln(x1-1)-ln(x2-1)=
=[tex]ln\frac{x_1-1}{x_2-1}=ln\frac{x_2-1+x_1-x_2}{x_2-1}=ln(1+\frac{x_1-x_2}{x_2-1})[/tex]
But I am stuck in here proving, so I tried:
[tex]x_1<x_2[/tex] ; [tex]x_1-1<x_2-1[/tex] ; [tex]\frac{x_1-1}{x_2-1}<\frac{x_2-1}{x_2-1}[/tex] ; [tex]\frac{x_1-1}{x_2-1}<1[/tex] ; [tex]ln\frac{x_1-1}{x_2-1}<ln(1)[/tex] ; [tex]ln\frac{x_1-1}{x_2-1}<0[/tex]
so f(x1)-f(x2)<0 and f(x1)<f(x2) and the function is monotonically increasing. Is this correct? Can I always use this method?

Thanks in advance.
It would be simplest to show that the derivative is always positive or always negative for [itex]x\ge 1[/itex]. Assuming that you are not allowed to or cannot take the derivative what you have done is perfectly valid- and very good! A correct proof, of course, would start with [itex]x_1< x_2[/itex], progress to [itex]ln\frac{x_1-1}{x_2-1}< 0[/itex] and then assert that [itex]ln(x_1- 1)< ln(x_2-1)[/itex].
Notice, by the way, that you need [itex]x_1>1[/itex] and [itex]x_2> 1[/itex] in order to assert that [itex]x_1-1> 0[/itex], [itex]x_2- 1> 0[/itex] so [itex]\frac{x_2-1}{x_1-1}> 0[/itex] and [itex]ln\frac{x_2-1}{x_1-1}[/itex] exists.

Thanks for the post. Yes, I see now that I missed the fact that x1>1 and x2>1 so I could used that fact that x2-1>0 and x1-x2<0 so that out of here:

[tex]ln(1+\frac{x_1-x_2}{x_2-1})[/tex]

[tex]-1<\frac{x_1-x_2}{x_2-1}<0[/tex]

[tex]0<1+\frac{x_1-x_2}{x_2-1}<1[/tex]

and out of here [tex]ln(1+\frac{x_1-x_2}{x_2-1})<ln(1)[/tex]

[tex]ln(1+\frac{x_1-x_2}{x_2-1})<0[/tex]

or it would be much simple if I did:

x1-1>0 and x2-1>0

and

[tex]ln\frac{x_1-1}{x_2-1}[/tex]

so that

[tex]0<\frac{x_1-1}{x_2-1}<1[/tex]

and out of here [tex]ln\frac{x_1-1}{x_2-1}<0[/tex]

And what if I have f(x)=3-x ?

x1<x2

f(x1)-f(x2)=3-x1 - 3-x2=1/3x1 - 1/3x2=

Now let's try with LaTeX :smile:

=[tex]\frac{3^{x_1}-3^{x_2}}{3^{x_1+x_2}}[/tex]

Out of x1<x2
log33x1<log33x2

Can I use this method to prove?

Now 3x1<3x2

But how to prove 3x1 + x2>0 ? Or it doesn't need proving?

Now it turns out that f(x1)-f(x2)<0 and f(x1)<f(x2) so that the function is monotonically increasing.

Дьявол said:
But how to prove 3x1 + x2>0 ? Or it doesn't need proving?

It seems obvious that any power with a positive base is positive (like the multiplication of positive numbers), but you could always write this down.

Can somebody please help with f(x)=x-sin(x), E=(0,п)
x1<x2

[tex]f(x_1)-f(x_2)=x_1-sin(x_1)-x_2+sin(x_2)=x_1-x_2+sin(x_2)-sin(x_1)[/tex]

I am stuck in here. x1-x2<0 and if п>x>0 then 1>sinx>0.

If 1>sin(x2)>0 ; 1-sin(x1)>sin(x2)-sin(x1)>-sin(x1)

If [tex]x_2>x_1 ; sin(x_2)>sin(x_1) ; sin(x_2)-sin(x_1)>0[/tex]

or [tex]sin(x_1)>0 ; -sin(x_1)<0 ; 1-sin(x_1)<1[/tex] so,

1<sin(x2)-sin(x1)<0 and x1-x2<0

I got plenty of information but I don't know if I am using it correctly.

What should I do now?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

1. What is monotonicity of a function?

Monotonicity of a function refers to the property of a function where its values either consistently increase or decrease as its input values increase. This means that the function has a predictable and consistent trend in its behavior.

2. How do you prove monotonicity of a function?

To prove monotonicity of a function, you can use the definition of monotonicity which states that a function is monotonic if and only if its first derivative is either always positive or always negative. This can be shown through the use of calculus and mathematical proofs.

3. Why is proving monotonicity important in mathematics?

Proving monotonicity of a function is important because it allows us to understand and analyze the behavior of a function in a more precise and systematic way. It also helps us make predictions about the function's behavior and make informed decisions about its use in various applications.

4. Can a function be monotonic and non-monotonic at the same time?

No, a function cannot be both monotonic and non-monotonic. A function is either monotonic or it is not. If a function is monotonic, it means that it has a consistent trend in its behavior, while a non-monotonic function has a more unpredictable and varied behavior.

5. Are there any real-world examples of monotonic functions?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of monotonic functions. For instance, the relationship between the amount of time spent studying and exam scores can be represented by a monotonic function, where the more time spent studying, the higher the exam scores. Similarly, the relationship between distance traveled and time taken can also be modeled by a monotonic function, where the farther the distance traveled, the longer the time taken.