Is there a name for this belief?

• Thread starter Xyius
  • Start date
In summary, the concept that the existence of God is defined by the elegance and perfection of the universe is a common belief among religious and spiritual individuals. This idea is often associated with Pantheism, Panentheism, or Mysticism. Albert Einstein also shared a similar belief and referred to it as a "cosmic religious feeling" or a reverence for the rationality and grandeur of the universe. This attitude is seen as a form of liberation from personal desires and a recognition of the superpersonal value and meaningfulness of the universe.
Xyius
I have a firm belief that the existence of god is defined by the elegance of the universe. I have once read that Einstein had a similar belief in that he knew the existence of god based upon the perfection of the universe. I have also seen a documentary in which scientists who also believe this consider themselves a religion. Has anyone else heard about this? It would be nice to give people a name for the things I believe instead of explaining each time.

Physics news on Phys.org
That god is the ultimate beauty and his creation reflects this is pretty much believed by religious and spiritual people of all stripes. That God is actually defined by the elegance of the universe is a version of Pantheism or Panentheism or some kinds of Mysticism.

Xyius said:
I have a firm belief that the existence of god is defined by the elegance of the universe.

That is the basic reason for belief most religions give. You have a debate with anyone religious and chances are they'll say something about there having to be a god because of how intricate things are and it's impossible for them to develop in such a way (the eye is the general example used).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein#Religious_views

I recommend you read that section to understand what Einstein believed. It may shed some light on what you're talking about.

Universe is an ugly, cold place. Is that what your god looks like? Perhaps your delusion is that of all other religious people - they simply don't know reality.

is called Naturalistic Deism

Einstein called his attitude 'cosmic religious feeling', though I don't think he would characterize it as a 'belief', nor did he associate it with a divine being. Here's a quote:

"A person who is religiously enlightened appears to me to be one who has, to the best of his ability, liberated himself from the fetters of his selfish desires and is preoccupied with thoughts, feelings and aspirations to which he clings because of their superpersonal value. It seems to me that what is important is the force of this superpersonal content and the depth of the conviction concerning its overpowering meaningfulness ..."

"Accordingly, a religious person is devout in the sense that he has no doubt of the significance and the loftiness of those superpersonal objects and goals which neither require nor are capable of rational foundation. They exist with the same necessity and matter-of-factness as he himself"

"Whoever has undergone the intense experience of successful advances made in the striving after the rational unification of the manifold of experineces is moved by a profound reverence for the rationality made manifest in existence. By way of the understanding he achieves a far-reaching emancipation from the schackles of personal hopes and desires, and thereby attains that humble attitude of mind toward the grandeur of reason incarnate in existence, and which, in its profoundest depths, is inaccessible to man. This attitude appears to me to be religious, in the highest sense of the word."

- Albert Einstein

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of a belief?

A belief is a mental representation of an idea or concept that a person holds to be true, regardless of evidence or proof.

2. How do beliefs differ from facts?

Beliefs are subjective and can vary from person to person, while facts are objective and can be proven through evidence or research.

3. Is it possible to have a name for every belief?

No, it is not possible to have a name for every belief as there are countless beliefs that exist and new beliefs can be formed by individuals at any time.

4. What is the purpose of naming a belief?

Naming a belief can help to categorize and understand different ideas and concepts, and can also provide a sense of identity and community for those who share the same belief.

5. Can beliefs change over time?

Yes, beliefs can change over time as individuals gain new information and experiences that may challenge their previous beliefs.