Literature recommendations for Maxwell's equations

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for books on learning Maxwell's equations, specifically with examples such as direct current, alternating current, and electromagnetic waves. Suggestions include "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by Griffiths, "Electromagnetic Vibrations, Waves, and Radiation" by Bekefi and Barrett, and "A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations" by Daniel Fleisch. The conversation also mentions free resources at Professor Fitzpatrick's site and recommends textbooks by Nayfeh & Brussel and Schwartz. It is noted that a basic understanding of vector calculus is necessary for understanding Maxwell's equations.
71GA
Hello!

I am very interested in learning Maxwells equations, and learn it good. I need a recommendations for books where electrodynamics is presented from scratch
and Maxwell's equations are used to explain most examples. I need examples
like direct current, alternating current, and electro magnetic waves.

Physics news on Phys.org
What level? For undergraduate Griffith's Introduction to Electrodynamics is a decent text in addition to say those from Purcell or Halliday and Resnick.

Thank you. Any more sugesstions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also check out Feynman's lecture on physics Vol II. That may not be a practical book used to solve problems, but it has very deep insights into the subject.

I have heard Feynman has a good sense of humor. Is it true? My professor told me so.

71GA said:
I have heard Feynman has a good sense of humor. Is it true? My professor told me so.

Very true. Feynman used to pull all kinds of pranks and jokes on people.

In addition to those mentioned, I really like "electromagnetic vibrations, waves, and radiation" by Bekefi and Barrett. It assumes you already know statics, from something like Halliday and Resnick or Purcell, and it helps if you are comfortable with basic vector calculus (Like from Thomas' calculus) but does waves and elementary radiation extremely well. It is above Halliday and Resnick but below Griffiths. Typsetting looks like from a typewriter, but if you can get past that it is wonderful. It has one of the best treatments of waves in matter (dielectrics, etc.) that I have ever seen.

There are also some nice resources at Prof. Fitzpatrick's site (UT Austin):
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching.html
Here you will find what are essentially books on electromagnetics at 3 levels: lower division (fresh/soph), upper division, and graduate. I would start here first, since they are free.

Note that if you are planning on buying books, that used copies of old editions can usually be found for little money online.

good luck,

jason

Purcell is the best. Halliday is a lame plug-and-chug book, not suitable for anyone who really wants to understand physics.

bcrowell said:
Purcell is the best. Halliday is a lame plug-and-chug book, not suitable for anyone who really wants to understand physics.
Can you tell me more about why this is? Maybe an example. Thank you

71GA said:
Can you tell me more about why this is? Maybe an example. Thank you

He may be confusing H&R's Physics with their Fundamentals of Physics, which is a simplified version of H&R's Physics. But I don't think even Fundamentals would be bad for a first pass, and copies of older editions can be had very cheap. These are both Freshman Physics books that present Maxwell's Equations in integral form, not using div, grad or curl.

Daverz said:
He may be confusing H&R's Physics with their Fundamentals of Physics, which is a simplified version of H&R's Physics. But I don't think even Fundamentals would be bad for a first pass, and copies of older editions can be had very cheap. These are both Freshman Physics books that present Maxwell's Equations in integral form, not using div, grad or curl.

Can you explain why is integral form better than div., grad or curl? Thank you.

71GA said:
Can you explain why is integral form better than div., grad or curl? Thank you.

It's not; it's just a different form of the equations that is appropriate for the freshman physics course that students typically take before they've learned vector calculus.

Daverz said:
It's not; it's just a different form of the equations that is appropriate for the freshman physics course that students typically take before they've learned vector calculus.
This is in fact what i wanted to hear. What about mathematic book recommendations for good vector calculus? I don't want too detailed book... I need mathematic tools that are often used in Physics soo my book should be for a physicists not mathematician.

With kind regards.

71GA said:
This is in fact what i wanted to hear. What about mathematic book recommendations for good vector calculus? I don't want too detailed book... I need mathematic tools that are often used in Physics soo my book should be for a physicists not mathematician.

Have you had calculus? If so, do you still have your calculus text?

My usual recommendations for E&M books are:

Feynman Lectures vol. 2
Nayfeh & Brussel, Electricty and Magnetism
Schwartz, Principles of Electrodynamics

Daverz said:
Have you had calculus? If so, do you still have your calculus text?

My usual recommendations for E&M books are:

Feynman Lectures vol. 2
Nayfeh & Brussel, Electricty and Magnetism
Schwartz, Principles of Electrodynamics

I haven't had calculus yet.

71GA said:
I haven't had calculus yet.

You'll need calculus before you can get very far.

Maxwell's equations can be understand conceptually, but you can't calculate much without calculus.

1. What are Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations are a set of four partial differential equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They were first published by James Clerk Maxwell in the 1860s and are considered one of the most important contributions to the field of electromagnetism.

2. Why are literature recommendations for Maxwell's equations important?

Literature recommendations for Maxwell's equations are important because they provide researchers and students with a comprehensive understanding of the equations and their applications in various fields. They also allow for further exploration and development of new theories and concepts related to electromagnetism.

3. Where can I find literature recommendations for Maxwell's equations?

There are many resources available for literature recommendations on Maxwell's equations. Some popular options include scientific journals, textbooks, and online databases such as IEEE Xplore or ScienceDirect. Additionally, universities and research institutions often have extensive collections of literature on this topic.

4. What are some recommended books for studying Maxwell's equations?

Some popular books for studying Maxwell's equations include "Classical Electrodynamics" by John David Jackson, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths, and "Electromagnetic Fields and Waves" by Vladimir Rojansky. These books provide a thorough understanding of the equations and their applications in various fields.

5. Are there any online resources for learning about Maxwell's equations?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about Maxwell's equations. Some popular options include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera. These platforms offer free courses and tutorials on electromagnetism, including a comprehensive understanding of Maxwell's equations.