Mist, Ghost or Computer Graphics?

In summary, this video allegedly never aired, and appears to be fake. However, the audio component is still quite chilling.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This is an intriguing video that apparently never aired. See if you can spot the image by the car that is supposed to be a ghost.

http://www.princeton.edu/~ccaro/mist_or_ghost.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Actually Monique brought this up some time ago. I find that if I look really closely when the car goes behing the the trees I can definitely see it. I had to look several times... that is strange. I don't know.

LOL.. I showed this to my wife without warning her, and she practically had a heart attack.

Math Is Hard said:
This is an intriguing video that apparently never aired. See if you can spot the image by the car that is supposed to be a ghost.

Hmmm. This kind of 'evidence' is always so tantalising, yet proves nothing. Having said that, I must admit feeling a little unsettled by the alleged phantom.

Would like to comment further, but have laundry to do.

In order to better see the ghost, you should lean in close to the screen and turn the volume up.

The link appears to be dead :confused:

I mean, the link to the actual video.

Last edited by a moderator:
TALewis said:
In order to better see the ghost, you should lean in close to the screen and turn the volume up.
You're right, TA! I could have sworn I detected some EVP phenomena. If you turn up the volume really high, you can hear a very faint whisper. It sounds like "I buried Paul."

Ok, I saw it and now I have to seriously reconsider my stance as a skeptic.

I have watched it several times now and am less and less convinced of its authenticity. If you watch the 'apparition' closely, it somehow has a manufactured quality to it, almost too much like an undergraduate notion of a ghoul. Did anyone else sense this?

Math Is Hard said:
It sounds like "I buried Paul."

Its Ringo! Oh wait, he's not dead. Its hard to tell sometimes.

I'm not sure what I saw. Maybe I was looking at the wrong thing because what I thought I saw appeared to be more in front of the car than off to the side. The image did appear vaguely human, but, not as 'ghostly' as I expected. Perhaps it was just a lens reflection or odd shadow. The words were very indistinct. When I tweaked the bass, it sounded like 'Iberia mall', which may have just been a plug for the dealership.

Got to give up drinking so much coffee :/

EDIT: The evidence is quite compelling if you look hard enough, still a little skeptical but I do not have any speakers on my system so its hard to tell.

Last edited:
username said:
EDIT: The evidence is quite compelling if you look hard enough, still a little skeptical but I do not have any speakers on my system so its hard to tell.

That is quite the shame, since the audio component is half the experience.

I don't know if this can be successfully debunked.. still gives me the shivers!

You guys might have mentioned the bloody thing at the end...you have no idea how much I just freaked out...I think that took a couple of years off my life.

I'm still trying to figure out if you guys are being sarcastic throughout the entire thread...and there was never any apparation at the beginning of the clip.

Last edited:

1. What is mist and how is it created?

Mist is a type of atmospheric phenomenon that occurs when water vapor in the air condenses into tiny liquid droplets. It is created when warm air rises and mixes with cooler air, causing the water vapor to cool and form mist.

2. How do ghosts appear in photos or videos?

Ghosts do not actually appear in photos or videos. What people often mistake for ghosts are usually optical illusions or camera glitches. Our brains are wired to recognize patterns and faces, so when we see a blurry or distorted image, we may interpret it as a ghostly figure.

3. How can computer graphics be used to create realistic effects?

Computer graphics can be used to create realistic effects by using advanced algorithms and techniques to simulate natural phenomena. For example, computer graphics can be used to generate realistic water, fire, or smoke effects by simulating the physical properties of these elements.

4. Is it possible to distinguish between real mist and computer-generated mist in movies or TV shows?

In most cases, it is difficult to distinguish between real and computer-generated mist in movies or TV shows. However, with advancements in technology, it is becoming increasingly difficult to tell the difference. Filmmakers often use a combination of real and computer-generated mist to achieve the desired effect.

5. Can computer-generated ghosts be created to look completely realistic?

Yes, computer-generated ghosts can be created to look completely realistic. With advancements in computer graphics and animation technology, it is possible to create highly realistic and believable ghosts in movies and video games. However, it requires a combination of technical skills, artistic talent, and attention to detail to achieve a truly convincing result.