Energy needed to pull parallel plate capacitor

In summary, we are given a parallel plate capacitor with a capacitance of 10pF and a voltage of 10kV, charged with an air dielectric. After it is isolated from the battery, the plates are pulled apart until the distance between them is 10 times greater than before. We are asked to find the energy needed to pull the plates. Using the equations c=εA/d and c=Q/V, we can calculate that the energy required is 0.0045 joules.
kishor7km

Homework Statement

a parallel plate capacitor of 10pF is charged to 10kV ( air dielectric). It is then isolated from battery.The plates are pulled away from each other until distance is 10 times more than before. what is the energy needed to pull the plates.

Homework Equations

c=εA/d ; c=Q/V ;

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You will get more help if you show some attempt at the problem, or at least give us an idea of what part you are struggling with. People don't want to just give you the answers to your homework.

Hi CanIExplore,
Thanks for your advice.

3. The Attempt at a Solution ::

I assume, the electric field will not change if distance between plate increase, but voltage will do.
Voltage, V =Ed
So If d -> 10d, V=E*10d = 10V .
So New Energy, W2=1/2 * C * V ^2 = (10^2)W1 . ( W1 is energy stored before modification)

Is this correct?
What will happen to capacitor,C if the distance(d) increases?? Whether both capacitance and voltage will change?? I know C=Q/V ;
So how to calculate energy in this case?? I am little confused... Please help

kishor7km said:
... What will happen to capacitor,C if the distance(d) increases?? Whether both capacitance and voltage will change?? I know C=Q/V ;...

To find what happens to C it is better to look at C = [itex]\epsilon[/itex]A/d

grzz said:
To find what happens to C it is better to look at C = [itex]\epsilon[/itex]A/d

Ok. So in this case capacitance becomes 0.1C, right??
hence the energy stored in the capacitor(after pulling the plates) will be 10 times more than that of initial condition.

My solution is,
First case: Energy,W1 = 1/2 * C * V^2
= 1/2 * 10pF * (10kV)^2
= 0.0005 joules

Second case: after plates are pulled away 10 times
Energy,W2 =1/2 * (0.1*10pF) * (10*10kV)^2
= 0.005 joules

So the energy required to pull the plates is = W2 - W1
= 0.0045 joules.

Is it correct? or am I missing something?? because this answer is not there in available choices.

I think it is correct.
One can look at it from another angle.

I assume, the electric field will not change if distance between plate increase, but voltage will do.
Voltage, V =Ed

This is exactly right.

What will happen to capacitor,C if the distance(d) increases?? Whether both capacitance and voltage will change?? I know C=Q/V

Well you've already stated that the voltage will change. You just found how much it changes when the distance is increased in the previous part. Then according to the definition of capacitance which you have written there, how does the capacitance change if the voltage changes?

To find the work, try writing your work equation in terms of just voltage and charge, or just capacitance and charge rather than having both of them in your equation at once.

@ grzz and CanIExplore,

thanks for your help guys.
I think now I got the clear idea..thanks again for your time.

CanIExplore said:
To find the work, try writing your work equation in terms of just voltage and charge, or just capacitance and charge rather than having both of them in your equation at once.

Exactly. That was the other point of view that I had in mind. It is very conventient to have only one variable to deal with. Hence it is profitable to involve the charge because since the capacitor is isolated this charge remains constant.

1. What is the equation for calculating the energy needed to pull a parallel plate capacitor?

The equation for calculating the energy needed to pull a parallel plate capacitor is:
E = 0.5 * C * V^2
where E is the energy in joules, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the voltage in volts.

2. How does the distance between the parallel plates affect the energy needed to pull the capacitor?

The distance between the parallel plates affects the energy needed to pull the capacitor because it directly affects the capacitance. The closer the plates are, the higher the capacitance and therefore, the higher the energy needed to pull the capacitor.

3. Why is the energy needed to pull a parallel plate capacitor important to understand?

The energy needed to pull a parallel plate capacitor is important to understand because it helps determine the amount of work required to separate the plates and store electric charge in the capacitor. This can be useful in designing and predicting the behavior of electronic devices that use capacitors.

4. How does the voltage applied to the capacitor affect the energy needed to pull it?

The voltage applied to the capacitor is directly proportional to the energy needed to pull it. This means that as the voltage increases, the energy needed to pull the capacitor also increases proportionally.

5. Can the energy needed to pull a parallel plate capacitor be negative?

No, the energy needed to pull a parallel plate capacitor cannot be negative. Energy is always a positive quantity and represents the work done to separate the plates and store electric charge in the capacitor. A negative energy value would not make physical sense in this scenario.