Please check if the differential equation is correct

That is, there is a unique function y(x) defined for -1< x that satisfies the differential equation for all x larger than -1 and y(0)= 1.
rohit99
I am practising for my test. The question is to solve a differential equation

dy/dx + y/x + 1 = 5x

y(0) = 1.

The answer that i have come up with is

(xy+y)= 5x^3/3+5x^2/2+c

by substituting the values x=0 and y=1 into the general equation I get

y(x+1)=5x^3/3 + 5x^2/2 +1

as the particular solution.

Can you tell me how will the particular solution look like and why this particular solution exists?

Physics news on Phys.org
rohit99 said:

dy/dx + y/x + 1 = 5x

y(0) = 1.

(xy+y)= 5x^3/3+5x^2/2+c

Can you tell me how will the particular solution look like and why this particular solution exists?

Hey rohit99 and welcome to the forums.

For your equation your initial condition only effects a constant in the entire equation.

Based on this what is the effect of adding or subtracting a constant in a general equation? (Hint: how does it 'shift' the function?)

rohit99 said:

dy/dx + y/x + 1 = 5x
You mean y/(x+1).

y(0) = 1.

(xy+y)= 5x^3/3+5x^2/2+c

What exactly do you mean by "look like"? If you just mean "solve for y", divide both sides by x+ 1.
The differential equation can be written
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}= 5x- \frac{y}{x+1}[/tex]
The function on the right side is differentiable for all y and all x except -1 so by the "fundamental existence and uniqueness theorem" for initial value problems, a unique solution to this problem exist for all x larger than -1.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It is used to describe the relationship between a physical quantity and its rate of change.

2. Why is it important to check if a differential equation is correct?

It is important to check if a differential equation is correct because an incorrect equation can lead to incorrect results and conclusions. Additionally, mathematical models and predictions based on differential equations are often used in scientific research and applications, so accuracy is crucial.

3. How do you check if a differential equation is correct?

To check if a differential equation is correct, you can verify that it satisfies all the necessary conditions, such as boundary or initial conditions, and that it follows the laws of mathematics. You can also compare it to similar equations or consult with other experts in the field.

4. What are some common mistakes when writing a differential equation?

Some common mistakes when writing a differential equation include forgetting to include all necessary terms, using incorrect symbols or notation, and not considering the appropriate boundary or initial conditions. It is also important to check for any algebraic errors or mistakes in differentiation.

5. Can a differential equation be corrected if it is found to be incorrect?

Yes, a differential equation can be corrected if it is found to be incorrect. This can be done by identifying and fixing any errors in the equation, or by re-deriving the equation based on the correct principles and conditions. It is important to correct any errors as soon as they are identified to ensure the accuracy of the results and conclusions derived from the equation.